advertisement

Expert stylus

What are the various ways a replacement (new) cantilever can be installed? Is there a best way?

I'm not a stylus expert but I suspect that this question is a bit like asking what is the best way of repairing a car engine. The answer is that there will be a range of designs, maybe some needing different methods, most responding to standard techniques out of the toolkit, and it's down to the skill of the repair technician to select the best method for the item in question.

E.S.Co are really making a name for themselves, with seemingly the ability to restore ANY cartridge.

I recently came across two affidavits that Koetsus refurbished by Van den Hul some years back tended to sound more like VdH cartridges afterwards.

Are there any satisfied ESCoed Koetsu owners out there? The only other route I know is a very long turnover time in Japan with a commensurately gigantic restoration charge.

I have had a few conversation with the guys at E.S.Co, they are always very friendly and happy to discuss any question I asked regarding stylus.

Yes there are. A friend of mine who posts on PFM has one, it's great, he loves it. He may well be along soon, he can tell you the tale at frst hand.

That would be me.

I bought an s/h old Rosewood that had been re-tipped by ESCo. I trashed it setting it up, by slamming it into the record and ripping the tip off. ESCo then re-tipped it again. Sounds very good.

What I can't comment on is how good it sounds to before. Because there was no before.

Fox has had some re-done, but by whom I'm not certain. He may well be along soon...

Had a Troika done , some time ago , sounded great after they'd done their work. Anyone who thinks otherwise , has either been unlucky (should have returned it) or has a vested interest in selling cartridges.

I have a Rosewood Red that has been retipped by ESCO with a fine line diamond and it sounds superb!

I also have an Supex 900 Mk2 ESCO retipped with one of their Paratrace diamonds which also sounds superb.

On the basis of my experience of their work I'd have no hesitation in talking to them and sending a cartridge to them if I was happy with the quotation. They'll do a survey and assessment of your cartridge for £25 which is then deductible if you have more work done.

From a recent conversation I understand they can and will work on anything as long as the cartridge has full connectivity i.e. there are no broken internal wires. Obviously you should confirm this by speaking to them.

I have a Rosewood Red that has been retipped by ESCO with a fine line diamond and it sounds superb!

I also have an Supex 900 Mk2 ESCO retipped with one of their Paratrace diamonds which also sounds superb.

Very interesting Mark. Have you done some comparaison between these two classics and what kind of differences have you found (for sure they are not in the same league but......).

Regards

Jacques (Supex addict)

From a recent conversation I understand they can and will work on anything as long as the cartridge has full connectivity i.e. there are no broken internal wires. Obviously you should confirm this by speaking to them.

I was under the impression they can re-wind defective coils as well.

I have enormous respect for ESCo and their work. This post is a question NOT a complaint. I'm interested in the principle not the parties so please comment on the principle rather than ESCo.

Recently I bought an ESCo re-tipped Koetsu Red. The buyer estimated 50 hours since the re-tip - and I believe them. The cart has an ESCo extended contact profile diamond.

Yesterday, I rang ESCo about something else and thought I'd ask about stylus tip life. I'm running the cartridge at c. 1.9g. I was both amazed and a bit shocked to be told that I could expect a *safe* useful life of c. 350-400 hours at between 1.8-2g VTF because this gives a stylus tip pressure of c. 2 tonnes (tons) per square inch. I was expecting something nearer 1000-1200 hours!

All my vinyl is in good excellent+ to NM condition. 2/3rds has been cleaned on my Okki Nokki and I take great care of the stylus with an Onzow Zerodust, a soft brush and a AT cleaner. The arm is a Zeta.

What would you think is a reasonable life for new tip like this at that VTF?

Hi,

I just listened in. My DV XX-2 Mk II is 2 years old (just broken in, no joke) and apparently the thread that holds the cantilever in place is broken, the cantilever now moves freely but the tip and lever are OK.

Does ESCO do that sort of repair too? Maybe cheaper than a retip with cantilever replacement? After all, they are still OK ...

Jörg from The Netherlands.

They don't do email or internet. Phone and letters only. You'll have a wonderful conversation with them though.

Email I received today from Expert Stylus.

We thank you for your enquiry and I am not sure who advised you we are not happy about receiving email enquiries, but it is totally wrong. All companies rely on computer aided information in the present environment.

We are very familiar with the Lyra range of cartridges and the Lydian Beta is a model we see regularly. Assuming the cartridge is in need of a complete overhaul to include re-tipping with our ultra low mass Paratrace profile diamond our charges will be GBP £285.00. We are assuming you are a UK resident.

We are currently unable to accept new orders until the end of May due to the number of orders we have to hand.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
Expert Stylus & Cartridge Co.,

Wyndham Hodgson

I have communicated with ESC by emails only so far and Wyndham has usually responded within 1-2 days. Just got an update on my Midas Denon 103r and SPU synergy update a day after my inquiry. And i was told not to send any more cart till the end of May too.

It's true that ESC generally estimates about 350 hours for a stylus. If you look at Jico's website they estimate max. 500 hours for their SAS stylus.

I believe it's a matter of WHEN the stylus is subtly degraded enough so that it no longer performs optimally. The low hours surprised me too but I'm pretty sure that ESC & Mr. Wyndham has done extensive research over the decades and seen most anything.

You COULD use your cartridge for 1000's of hours but is that optimal for your precious vinyl? I don't know.

Does ESCO do that sort of repair too? Maybe cheaper than a retip with cantilever replacement? After all, they are still OK ...

My uneducated GUESS is that they would be able to fix it. A cartridge of that caliber is certainly worth some spending to keep it going.

But why don't you mail them and ask?

advertisement

Back