advertisement

Expert stylus

"They don't do email"

Yes they do. I have sent and received emails to and from them. But it seems that this is not their prefered method of communication, and they would not thank me for putting their email address here.

experience of ESC retips is patchy at best.

a recently returned Arkiv came back sounding no better than a P77.

Not a cheap alternative to a new cartridge.

(many owners of ESC retipped cartridges will contend this i am sure)

Witrhout ba doubt ask to send it back and have it re-tested, they measure everything, so it's likely a damage in transit. They take customer support seriously.

I´ve never heard an original Troika ´cos I bought mine sans cantilever but I find it hard to believe it could have sounded better than it now does after having the once-over by Esco. Different maybe, but better ???? The mind boggles.

Having dealt with the Hodgson family for over 30 years, they have my unconditional support.

David,
They had so many favourable reports during all these years. So I hope it's an accident.

Jacques

David,
They had so many favourable reports during all these years. So I hope it's an accident.

Jacques
David has shown a history on this forum to making negative comments about gear that many folks praise so take his comments with that in mind.

I have been very happy with the work Expert Stylus has provided in rebuilding my Klyde and Troika for the last several years. I think if you do a search of their company on this forum you will find many satisfied customers.

I agree, I've not heard any mention of this 'patchy quality' (it's just the type of gossip certain reps used to like to whisper to me though). However, I do love this idea that a cartridge could be transformed into a P77 by a 'dodgy re-tip' - very creative :).

Superb company, superb results when they retipped my Troika.

Benz use them to retip their cartridges.

Both Wynham and Paul are as the company says expert.

M

Correct me if I'm wrong. Retipping is just a cut off cataliver re-glued with a new one and the motor assembly stays the same or do they do what Linn used to do save the body and put a new motor stylus assembly. Seems to me once your stylus is pooched, after so many hours of play, those rubber thing-a-ma-jiggies must need replacement too. Can you ever torque down a Troika though.

Mine didn´t have a cantilever so thay can, if needed, rebuild completely from the coils up.

Jack, not exactly, they only cut the cantilever if it is bent or broken - otherwise only the stylus is replaced.

As for the 'thing-a-ma-jiggies' you mention - it depends on the cartridge

Correct me if I'm wrong. Retipping is just a cut off cataliver re-glued with a new one and the motor assembly stays the same or do they do what Linn used to do save the body and put a new motor stylus assembly. Seems to me once your stylus is pooched, after so many hours of play, those rubber thing-a-ma-jiggies must need replacement too. Can you ever torque down a Troika though.

Expert Stylus performs a detailed examination of your cartridge:
Coils, Suspension, Cantilever and Diamond and returns a recommendation.

If everything looks good other than the diamond they carry out a complete overhaul to include examination of coils, suspension, remove magnetic particles about the coil former, fit new latex coil protection cover, re tip cantilever with low mass paratrace profile diamond and audition.

I don't believe they cut cantilevers, if it's bent they replace the cantilever with a new one. I've had the same Linn Klyde rebuilt by ES five times and they've only had to replace the diamond. They remove the old one and glue a new one in place.

ES = true gentlemen, extremely service minded and helpfull.

I have had my Expert stylus rebuild Linn Asaka a couple of years now
Have been very satisfied so far.

I owned a Dynavector 19AII (allmost identical to 17DII except needle arm here are alu made)
This cartridge were slightly more open and detailed however the ES Asaka have slightly better timbre, flow and coherence. Not bad for an old Linn cartridge. I sold on the DV but could happy live with either.

Definately worth the cost if you have an old Linn MC lying around.

advertisement

Back