advertisement

Everything is just so boring

packtech

Ex band member twice.. :)
Can anyone explain this one to me? I have a system, well actually a few systems, which had vibrancy, and above all emotion and foot tappin and all that stuff. Not the deepest Bass or the finest top end, just EMOTION. I moved all of the stuff into my home here in Luxembourg years ago and in our Living Room never could get anything to sound anything other than just 'flat and Boring'.. I have tried numerous speakers ranging from Magneplanerr 3.3 Rs, Kilpsch KG3 and Hersey, Tannoy Dimension 8, Tannoy DC 10T, KEF C series (C 80s I think) NVA Cubes, Celestion something or others and very expensive French things. It doesn't matter which Deck I use ( I have many ranging from Michell Reference, Gyro, Garrard 401, Thorens TD 147 etc etc and NVA A 80 Amps, TVA 1X power amp etc ) this list goes on. I do know that a room can affect the sound but how the hell can it just rob the music of all emotion?? If I move all the stuff upstairs onto another room ( which I can't use as a permanent system room), it all comes back, regardless of which set-up I use.. maybe one system has less Bass, or harsher top end etc, but all the EMOTION is all back again.. What is happening here? My room downstairs is not over furnished at all.. and is quite large but not huge, how can all the emotion just disappear?

the room is by far the most important aspect of sound reproduction
imo a untreated room sounds bad no matter the speaker used. treat your room. its not that pricey if you diy and theres ways to make it almost nice looking

Can anyone explain this one to me? I have a system, well actually a few systems, which had vibrancy, and above all emotion and foot tappin and all that stuff. Not the deepest Bass or the finest top end, just EMOTION. I moved all of the stuff into my home here in Luxembourg years ago and in our Living Room never could get anything to sound anything other than just 'flat and Boring'.. I have tried numerous speakers ranging from Magneplanerr 3.3 Rs, Kilpsch KG3 and Hersey, Tannoy Dimension 8, Tannoy DC 10T, KEF C series (C 80s I think) NVA Cubes, Celestion something or others and very expensive French things. It doesn't matter which Deck I use ( I have many ranging from Michell Reference, Gyro, Garrard 401, Thorens TD 147 etc etc and NVA A 80 Amps, TVA 1X power amp etc ) this list goes on. I do know that a room can affect the sound but how the hell can it just rob the music of all emotion?? If I move all the stuff upstairs onto another room ( which I can't use as a permanent system room), it all comes back, regardless of which set-up I use.. maybe one system has less Bass, or harsher top end etc, but all the EMOTION is all back again.. What is happening here? My room downstairs is not over furnished at all.. and is quite large but not huge, how can all the emotion just disappear?

Happens a lot l reckon, you hear kit at the dealers and it sounds great, then get a home loan of the said kit based on what you heard at the dealers.... and it sounds no where as good as the dealer's treated room- this has happened to myself recently....mind you my room is a rubbish sounding one.........

Any emotion comes from you not the equipment .
Keih
Totally don't agree, I can hear the same song/music on other equipment and set ups and they just take me away.. almost anything in my room is just emotionless.. all the frequency response sounds like it is there, but it is like the system is saying.."what the hell, here you go then, whatever"..

Finally you have realised that what we hear is the room .. cost you a ton to get there :)
I realised that many years ago, what I can't understand is why the EMOTION is gone, not anything to do with Bass Mid or High/Image/tone/depth..Just the emotion.. the enjoyment. What is the room doing to take away the EMOTION??..

What type of (wall)socket and powerextension blocks are you using in Luxembourg?

If the connectors can be used in 2 ways (so both ways around) as with model F/schuko connectors, than
that could mean that your phase and neutral are reversed on appliances and/or wallsocket and/or powerblock!
Sounds to me like you could have a problem in that area, when I hear your complaints

I put the set up in another room and it all has the emotion back.. it makes no difference which way the plugs are in the sockets at all.. the frequency responses sounds identical..just no emotion in the main room.. it sound superficially the same ..just no emotive response.. like "uh ok here's your music dude.. whatever"..

I suffered a poor room for over 15 years in my last house, so I can empathise.

... what I can't understand is why the EMOTION is gone, not anything to do with Bass Mid or High/Image/tone/depth..Just the emotion.. the enjoyment. What is the room doing to take away the EMOTION??..
In my experience a room robs "emotion" by causing the loss of coherence. I suspect you have spurious reflections going on that are smearing notes and corrupting temporal integrity. You say your room is sparsely furnished. That could be the underlying cause. Clap your hands in your main room, and then in your preferred room. The difference should be stark, and I would start there.

I was going to mention Luxembourg too.
I´m a great believer in the importance of the phono stage over all other parts of the system. I had Black Cube (basic), Black Cube SE, Linto and it wasn´t until I heard the Hagerman Piccolo and Puresound P10 in my system, which I have since tuned way OTT with overblown tranny, choke, Salas regulation, teflon RIAA caps and Schinkohs etc. that the party started. I am not suggesting you do the same but there is a difference between phono stages, although of course it´s just colouration I am enjoying. Who cares.

Any emotion comes from you not the equipment .
Keih

I'm really starting to worry about you!
Music triggers an emotional response in the listener, so the performance of the reproduction equipment has a significant part to play.

Sell the lot and buy an ALBA microsystem or something like that for £50. You will enjoy music no less I'm sure and have more money to boot!

I realised that many years ago, what I can't understand is why the EMOTION is gone, not anything to do with Bass Mid or High/Image/tone/depth..Just the emotion.. the enjoyment. What is the room doing to take away the EMOTION??..

As you can't tell what's different with your ears, I suggest that you do some measurements. In both rooms. Compare and contrast. Then you'll have your answer.

advertisement

Back