advertisement

Evenings in Barcelona

One of my daughters lived there for a while when studying. We went out to see her. She was living in Gracias, opposite a little covered veg market. I liked that area.

Ramblas is interesting for a stroll, but I always keep my wallet in my hand and my hand in my front trouser pocket when anywhere busy, even back here in the UK.

I recall seeing some bloke walking down the Ramblas with a big leather wallet sticking very obviously out of his arse pocket. Wondered if he was some sort of 'bait' for the pickpockets?

TBH, I found those whining 'gypsy' type women going on about having 17 starving kids were the most annoying.

Mull

On Ramblas is expensive and the quality often not so good.

We've been to Taxidermista in Barri Gotic (off Ramblas) and had excellent meals there. Friendly atmosphere, too.

Great seafood on the quay.

There was quite a lot on Spanish news last year about the kind of tourists hitting Barcelona and how peeved of the locals had become with it all. Living here right at the bottom, I've always felt the best time for visiting Spain is in low tourist season, and even though Spain has the reputation of a great night life, my god the weirdos appear at night, we never go out a night in tourists areas, and remember one very important thing, absolutely no one is your friend and I stress no one.

Some friends spent a year living in Spain. Their fave in Barcelona was Petra http://www.restaurantpetra.com. We ate there when we visited. It was excellent. In particular their black rice dish was unique and delicious.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona and many in Valencia, eating out every meal and didn't have a bad meal once. Can't say the same about Paris where the bad/ordinary meals way outnumbered the good.

advertisement

Back