advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

Diapason also sell 'direct drive' speakers and they seem to have some with 17cm mid/bass drivers which must be a similar size to the Epos.

Has anyone heard them or even know what the house sound is like?

I suspect I probably have heard the Diapson's at some point:

6moons have a review here (Adamante MkIII) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/diapason/adamante.html.

I see they claim direct connection, but a quick look at the review pics show the X-over and it clearly has a cap, a resistor and an inductor.

doesn't look to be coupled via a crossover to it's bass unit.

i vaguely remember the mordaunt short ms100 and ms300 being direct coupled bass units but i think it is over stated if the cabinet loading and driver materials are not optimised....it's just one more area for an error.

The man who made these speakers basically said that they were like comparing a Morris Minor to Modern VW Golf?

He made them, but prattle overates them. If they are circa 4k speakers then it is no wonder this hobby is in decline.

Well, I would agree that the Golf is over rated (particularly these days). The Totems look promising, but looks can be deceiving and they may not realise their initial promise - as always, an audition would be required to separate the 'tittle-tattle' from the facts :).

That would be a business project for you YNOAN.

Source the driver manufacturer (maybe unobtainiun) and go into production small scale?

Fancy it? I am confident of your sales ability:D Prolly got enough on your plate I suppose. ;)

are you talking about the darius?

Yes, the one that sat in the tubular metal stand.

Just a point on the ES14 and other models with directly connected bass drivers.
They aren't crossover-less. Inductance within the driver motor rolls off the top end in exactly the same way as using an external inductor coil. If you examine the circuit formed by amp output, cable, woofer in terms of LCR you find the same properties forming the same filters.

The ES14 method should certainly be better and the main driver is excellent, but if you correctly view the crossover as a filter, it still has one.

Nobody as I know ever got to the source of bass driver. It has Celestion, Richard Allan and Spendor looks all over it (anorak off now).

Robin Marshall likes to talk down his design work in the ES14's, he's very self depricating, yet here we all are talking about them still. They aren't perfect but they still do some things better than any other speaker.

Yes, the one that sat in the tubular metal stand.

Just a point on the ES14 and other models with directly connected bass drivers.
They aren't crossover-less. Inductance within the driver motor rolls off the top end in exactly the same way as using an external inductor coil. If you examine the circuit formed by amp output, cable, woofer in terms of LCR you find the same properties forming the same filters.

The ES14 method should certainly be better and the main driver is excellent, but if you correctly view the crossover as a filter, it still has one.

hi rob....r.e. darius... you do know it went through several crossover series....i don't ever remember a production one with no bass crossover.....i used them active when i had mine.

Robin Marshall likes to talk down his design work in the ES14's, he's very self depricating, yet here we all are talking about them still. They aren't perfect but they still do some things better than any other speaker.

Really? Which things?

hi rob....r.e. darius... you do know it went through several crossover series....i don't ever remember a production one with no bass crossover.....i used them active when i had mine.

I was confused by this statement too - I can't believe the large external crossover box just fed the tweeter. I remember really enjoying the Darius at a demo many years ago.

mat

advertisement

Back