advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

I had ES14's a long while back with an LP12 and 42/110. I really can't remember them at all now. Did I let something great go? The only speakers I remember were Kans (sorry) and the Gales with the metal grille. Used a modded Claymore with them. They were as sweet as anything and I'd have them back tomorrow if I could.

Nasty sounding things.
IIRC they also feature a directly connected mid/bass, but unlike the Epos the driver wasn't intended for such use. The ES14 driver was specifically designed for direct connection.
Grossly coloured and shouty is my recollection of them.

Yoiks, a Kef B200 used without a crossover, now that's brave, or stupid.

The "Gales with the metal grille" are the GS301.

I tried ProAc D2s and Revel M22s when I was looking to replace my ES14s.

The M22s, rear ported like the ES14s are a bit more refinded across the mid and hi, which for me robbed them of a bit of character when heard against the ES14s. The M22 does do great bass (the one area of mild frustration with ES14s). The D2s offer a similarly higher level of refinement and a very articulate (but not sharp) top end. Front ported of course, so a bit more foward in the bass dept.

I could have lived with either, but then either are price at 2k new, so I stuck with my ES14s. As soon as I plugged 'em back in, I knew I'd made the right decision ;)

should my ES14s go belly up, I'll just buy another pair of ES14s.

Whenever I read threads singing such praise for 'old' pieces of equipment I keep asking myself...... why don't, in this case Epos, make them new, today.... exactly like they used to? Am I missing something here?

I had es14s with a 42.5/110 and a roksan xerxes it represented the best imaging and clearest hifi I have ever owned.

I can hear little merit in 80 percent of the speakers linn have ever produced.

I love kabers kans and isobariks.

I got rid of the es14s because I got a handle on what they don't do.
( tunes,rhythm,bass)

If you can live with these compromises (or don't hear them) they are phenomenal in other areas.

I had es14s with a 42.5/110 and a roksan xerxes it represented the best imaging and clearest hifi I have ever owned.

I can hear little merit in 80 percent of the speakers linn have ever produced.

I love kabers kans and isobariks.

I got rid of the es14s because I got a handle on what they don't do.
( tunes,rhythm,bass)

If you can live with these compromises (or don't hear them) they are phenomenal in other areas.

The 110 might have been the weak link there in terms of tunes,rhythm,bass. With a 300 they sing their hearts out!

delab, Totem are just introducing a new range of speaker, in house mid-band drivers built on an alloy plate, run wide open with only a capacitor on the tweeter, similar design ideals and implementation to the ES14's- they aren't cheap.

Totem 'fire' speaker.

The best 2 ways I've heard lately are those German jobs with the ribbon tweeter, Quadrals, not their av stuff.

"The 110 might have been the weak link there in terms of tunes,rhythm,bass. With a 300 they sing their hearts out!"

If I could go back in time and change Only one part of the system I'd have put a 52 in.

"The 110 might have been the weak link there in terms of tunes,rhythm,bass. With a 300 they sing their hearts out!"

If I could go back in time and change Only one part of the system I'd have put a 52 in.

Originally I used Mk 2 'biwire' versions in an olive 250/52 set-up and it had some of the characteristics you describe David. On the whole good but not as nicely refined as the Mk1 252/300 combination, a bit strident in places and sometimes 'one-note' in the bass. I keep expecting something musically to trip them up but nothing yet........and I have a wide taste. G

delab, Totem are just introducing a new range of speaker, in house mid-band drivers built on an alloy plate, run wide open with only a capacitor on the tweeter, similar design ideals and implementation to the ES14's- they aren't cheap.

Totem 'fire' speaker.

The best 2 ways I've heard lately are those German jobs with the ribbon tweeter, Quadrals, not their av stuff.

Thanks - The Totem Element 'Fire' certainly look very nice. Similar proportions too. G

Nasty sounding things.
IIRC they also feature a directly connected mid/bass, but unlike the Epos the driver wasn't intended for such use. The ES14 driver was specifically designed for direct connection.
Grossly coloured and shouty is my recollection of them.

are you talking about the darius?

The mid/bass driver in the Totem looks interesting:

Totem-Torrent-Driver.jpg

The Totem's do read very like a modern re-make of the ES14; to achieve the desired results you really need to custom design the drive units as Totem have done.

(I'm not sure why the Totem uses two capacitors to the tweeter - perhpas just to get the right value?)

The mid/bass driver in the Totem looks interesting:

Totem-Torrent-Driver.jpg

The Totem's do read very like a modern re-make of the ES14; to achieve the desired results you really need to custom design. the drive units as Totem have done.

Nice. I guess circa £4k is what you would pay nowadays for a Bespoke design like the 14. Looks like they will be with me for a while! Lets hope they hold out. G

Not really - quite dissimilar (although the Scan-Speak also looks interesting) - it's not been custom designed to mechanicaly X-over to a specific tweeter though, without the need for a X-over.

Nice. I guess circa £4k is what you would pay nowadays for a Bespoke design like the 14. Looks like they will be with me for a while! Lets hope they hold out. G

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. Even many high-end speakers use what are effectively 'off the shelf' drive units (good quality ones), married together with a X-over (passive or active).

advertisement

Back