advertisement

Epos ES11 vs. ES12 vs M12/.2

west,
which amp is that with?
I find the 12 to be better the lower power you have. Push 11s with lots of power and they come up on top.

west,
which amp is that with?
I find the 12 to be better the lower power you have. Push 11s with lots of power and they come up on top.

:) Thats interesting.

The amp is a Naim Supernait, its pretty powerful, even at its humble 80watt per channel rating, its surprised me next to some 200+watt amplifiers I've had.

Its honestly hard to pick between the 11/12, I think I slightly prefer the tonality of the 11s but the bass, detail and resolution on the 12s. What I need is a 11.5 I think :D Have to say the 12s delicacy and detail is exceptional. But both are great!

For the much lower level listening though the 12s take that one, for me. Start pushing both loud though with this supernait then I think I'd prefer the 11s, even though there's more there with the 12s, and way more definition in the bass with things like kick drums.

:) Thats interesting.

The amp is a Naim Supernait, its pretty powerful, even at its humble 80watt per channel rating, its surprised me next to some 200+watt amplifiers I've had.

Its honestly hard to pick between the 11/12, I think I slightly prefer the tonality of the 11s but the bass, detail and resolution on the 12s. What I need is a 11.5 I think :D Have to say the 12s delicacy and detail is exceptional. But both are great!

For the much lower level listening though the 12s take that one, for me. Start pushing both loud though with this supernait then I think I'd prefer the 11s, even though there's more there with the 12s, and way more definition in the bass with things like kick drums.

Exposure amps work marvels with Epos speakers, well worth considering.

Or Creek. Fantastic VFM as a s/h combo.

Had some time with the Destiny, only had the M i's at the time, have to say it didn't do a lot for me even though creek made both at the time, and the destiny was supposedly something special they made.

Epos ES11 with Nait 1, near-field - Hard to Imagine how It could be Improved on.

Epos ES11 with Naim 62 pre, 250 power, far-field - Boomy bass and that live sounding midrange gone.

So I've been told, any in particular then? What's the best?

Still waiting to try a naim nap 250, the amp the speaker was designed with.

For ES14's I'd recommend there pre/powers to start. Although I used to run a 17 pre and two 18 power amps which worked well.

If you could get hold of a 18 monos, a IVDR or XVI Monos you'll hear them at their best, and any of those three would whoop a NAP250.

Epos ES11 with Nait 1, near-field - Hard to Imagine how It could be Improved on.

Epos ES11 with Naim 62 pre, 250 power, far-field - Boomy bass and that live sounding midrange gone.

I'm surprised they worked well with the Nait 1, but then the ES11's are a darn site easier to drive than the ES14's.

For ES14's I'd recommend there pre/powers to start. Although I used to run a 17 pre and two 18 power amps which worked well.

If you could get hold of a 18 monos, a IVDR or XVI Monos you'll hear them at their best, and any of those three would whoop a NAP250.

I would love to hear a side by side comparison. I was told that this has happened with Robin Marshall, someone brought in an amp and it steamrollered the NAP250 (I'm not exactly sure how tho), but he just said "Nah, it's rubbish put the 250 back on" :D. I guess you just like what you like! :) and it is a million miles from being a bad amp, its longevity has proved that.

Agreed. The NAP250 is a good amp, but it is also a very basic and old design. There is a lot out there that can better it IMHO.

well I finally got my self a pair of Epos M12i cheap ( £155 ) from Ebay in very good condition. I have changed my view re comparisons with the M5i which I also have. I previously thought they sounded similar, well they do once the positions are right. The M12i needs to be about 2 feet from the rear wall or it sounds heavy too much lower midrange whereas the M5i needs to be quite close or it sounds rather thin ( has a smaller bass driver? ). The M12i crossovers at 5khz whereas the M5i goes at 3khz, you can hear much more coming from the M5i tweeter which to my ears sounds a bit brittle with ear to ( I thought for a moment the M12i tweeter was dead but I suppose what I was hearing coming from the M5i tweeter was to some extent coming from the M12i bass unit as it processes up to 5khz rather than the 3 khz of the M5i?) - I dont know if my M5i doesnt have the 2.2ohm resitor mod to tame the treble but it seems a bit more spitty than the M12i which seems very well behaved and sibilance is very natural and not pronounced. With dull/bad recordings the M12i could be very boring: I think the M5i could be regarded as a faster speaker due the ability to control the midrange/bass by positioning - to get the same with the M12i would mean considerable positioning from the far wall?

Further more I would say the M5i sounds best with the grills on the M12i with them off - that goes some way to equalise any differences between them ( a bit )

So just out of interest what speaker cable do you all use with your epos. Have you had great results using a particular brand? Im using QED XT400 at the moment which isnt bad, Its a little bit in your face with the es12 but as my 11s are a bit tamer it suits perhaps a little better suited to them. Any cable you think is great to look out for?

I ditched my NACA5 when I bought studio monitors, have used Talk 3 cable recently. It’s flexible, cheap and to my ears works brilliantly with my Avondale amp and ES14’s.

advertisement

Back