advertisement

Emotional speakers

mesak

pfm Member
I pulled out a few days ago out of my garage a pair of old JM Reynauld Twin mkII speakers, hooked them to Naim Unity 2 with Heed Obelisk monoblocks instead of Neat Motive SX2 and boy do they make fun. The most emotional speaker I have heard. No hi-fi. Hardly bass. And they make Neats sound frigid on oldish recordings. They never really sang with Naim combos I had but I guess Heed did them somethin’. So what would be the most emotional speaker you have heard/owned?

It’s way too early to say, but I have a feeling that the ESL 57s might be one such speaker. They get right to the heart of the music, with a stunning realism that I’ve rarely heard in a speaker. Though in another way they are definitely an emotional speaker for my dear wife, whose reaction when she saw me carry the darned things in was interesting....

PS. You can turn most any speaker into an emotional one with the addition of a glass or two of decent red wine, I find...

Interesting question. What properties of speakers make it lose the ‘emotion’ in the music? Some things that spring to mind might be veiled vs. open sounding speakers, and phase response, perhaps a crossover artefact or sibilance issues. IMHO I think there’s a bit of magic in simple 2 way standmounts, simply because there is less to go wrong.

IMHO I think there’s a bit of magic in simple 2 way standmounts, simply because there is less to go wrong.

This is why I've eventually ended up with wide band speakers like, amongst others the Frugal Horns, in the other threads.

Likewise, a full-range ‘stat. OK, maybe doesn’t have the deepest bass, but is better than many make it out to be (bass-wise) and there’s no crossover (I think?)

I pulled out a few days ago out of my garage a pair of old JM Reynauld Twin mkII speakers, hooked them to Naim Unity 2 with Heed Obelisk monoblocks instead of Neat Motive SX2 and boy do they make fun. The most emotional speaker I have heard. No hi-fi. Hardly bass. And they make Neats sound frigid on oldish recordings. They never really sang with Naim combos I had but I guess Heed did them somethin’. So what would be the most emotional speaker you have heard/owned?

Was it the vibrato?
Violins are widely used in the cinema to bring out tears...

Some speakers seem to perform the music rather than simply play it.
I would put my Totem Signature Model 1's in that category.

I often wish my speakers were as emotional as my Beyer DT531 cans. Same source, same pre but no comparison.

(obvs, if non-'flat' to a dealer-defined level of 'flat', it's useless...)

I'm very happy with my useless| legacy | non-active | huge | unfashionable | royalty- and BS-free | non-DSP | ghastly-horn-loaded |unreliable ESL-based | wonderful-sounding & self-repairable system components. (And that includes some seminal SMT -based amps and dacs.)

(obvs, if non-'flat' to a dealer-defined level of 'flat', it's useless...)

I'm very happy with my useless| legacy | non-active | huge | unfashionable | royalty- and BS-free | non-DSP | ghastly-horn-loaded |unreliable ESL-based | wonderful-sounding & self-repairable system components. (And that includes some seminal SMT -based amps and dacs.)

And having heard most of it Martin, I would be similarly happy...

advertisement

Back