advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

A little update for those interested, with regards to run-in:

From what I’ve experienced over the last 24 hours the cables take about 50+ hours continuous use to open up. The differences are subtle but noticeable. On Monday when I installed the LS-25, bass notes and texture that I’d not heard before on very familiar tracks/albums was clearly a pleasure to hear. What’s changes since is there seams to a little more space around the lower register, the mid range seams to be slightly smoother and the highs still relaxed and airy.

As someone who does believe cables make a subtle difference to the sound, I'm still very unconvinced that bass quality of anything should be judged using small ported speakers.

As someone who does believe cables make a subtle difference to the sound, I'm still very unconvinced that bass quality of anything should be judged using small ported speakers.

I have a set of Sopra 2 and trying some KEF REF 1 with their small and large port options at the rear, so will find out myself soon :)

Fancy smaller speakers these could do the trick??

It's not the size of the speakers, it's the way the low frequencies are produced.
Ported speakers are a reasonable compromise - the benefit is that they sound bigger and go deeper than the ought to, the disadvantage is that this extra lf sound is delayed compared to the higher frequencies. Messing about with high power amps and fancy speaker cables is just turd polishing.

I'll attempt an analogy...
Think of an older LED TV, the ones that had loads of motion blur. You can't fix the motion blur by twidling with all the settings for colour, contrast, tuning and especally by putting the tv on a more rigid stand or changing a HDMI cable. You might be able to reduce the subjective effect with some tweaks but your can't fix it. Ported speakers have lf blur (although Devialet's SAM etc. can sort-of fix it).

I'm certainly not one for the purchase of specific levels of turd polishers, although I did try some Super Lumina IC and SC and they were soooo bright as to be needing shades, so cables can have an effect, I guess it is finding your own turd that needs a specific type of a polish.

Yes the LED analogy fits, it can also be effected by what it is fed in terms of original uncompressed images (from a quality camera) or compressed garbage, grading quality, RGB values and response curves too, and some tinkering will alleviate smearing and tearing, Hz rates, interlaced v progressive frames etc

Small details really, but essentially overall you are dead right :)

Its not just about bass quality either, the whole spectrum is just 'correctly presented' with what I find, perfect timber texture and pace/placement.

AS you say, cables are the icing on the cake but get it wrong, for your system, and it can make subtle changes that are not pleasant. However in the context of my system the EWA LS-25s work beautifully.....

I would like to try them, but I have zero interest in buying them at that price. Therefore I would feel really bad, just using the trial period for a bit of (almost) free entertainment.

I am hoping to swap out 2 x 3m NACA5 to cover some of the cost, of course if I like them, helps my man maths a little anyway :)

I am hoping to swap out 2 x 3m NACA5 to cover some of the cost, of course if I like them, helps my man maths a little anyway :)

Do update once you managed to compare the NAC A5 to the LS-25 in your system. The only cable I tried that bettered the NAC A5 in areas of refinement and detail was the Chord Epic Twin. The Chord Epic sounds very close to the NAC A5 in terms of pace, rhythm and timing but adds a smidgen of refinement across the frequency spectrum.

The Chord Epic isn't too costly.

advertisement

Back