1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

I agree! the differences are subtle but none-the-less advantageous.

2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

It's not that I don't believe in cable differences, I do - but I've never heard any evidence to support the belief that cables burn in. None of the many ones I have tried have altered at all with the passing of time.

3. Cereal Killer

Yes I'm with you on that one and I think no one can claim a measured difference either. But from my experiences with 3 new sets I had here, being VOVOX, HiDiamond & EWA all changed over the first week.

VOVOX (being a pro cable manufacturer too) state their cables change in the first 20 hours and will subtly change thereafter for a longer period.

4. Cereal Killer

http://www.vovox.ch/en/home-audio-hifi/faq/ extracted below:

In general: yes. However, the necessary run-in time is quite variable for the different cable types.

Upon our point of view, the reason for this run-in effect is still unclear and not understood. Nevertheless, after some time of use we detect clear changes in sound quality, such as:
    •better spatial resolution, especially for instruments and voices in the center
    •perfect sound balance
    •more naturalness
    •more even sound pattern

break-in times:
    •vocalis: long break-in time (min. 20 hours), great effect
    •textura / textura fortis: these sound conductors are pretreated in a specific process before they leave our factory, but allow 1 hour of „warming up“ for perfect sound. Moreover, the result further improves during the first 100 - 200 hours of use.

5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I'm really not convinced.

6. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Me neither, but I have slowly adjusted to the new balance over time...

7. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

Re cable burn in, it's actually the dielectric that "burns in" or reaches optimum charge or whatever it is that's going on. PTFE (Teflon) demonstrates this phenomena most readily, to the point that if you leave a cable unused you need to burn it in again, same with Teflon capacitors. Same for other dielectrics just more noticeable with Teflon. If you use cables with PVC dielectrics all bets are off! Have you wondered why there are no PVC capacitors?

While the vast majority of the cables out there are much of a muchness, there are some that offer huge performance upgrades, problem is finding them! In the 90s I remember doing some comparisons with a bunch of the best interconnects of the era, not much to choose between most of them (and I think this explains why people claim not to hear much in the way of meaningful differences) However there was one design that sounded so good that it sounded like an expensive amplifier upgrade, really jaw dropping and impossible to miss. There was another that was new to the market, with radical technology while receiving really very good reviews, but I, and everyone else who heard the comparison between these two cables hated it!
    What I found most interesting was that these comparisons were carried out with Audio Research, Krell and Mark Levinson Amplifiers. When this remarkable cable was used with a Naim NAC52 NAP135s Amplifiers the performance advantage just evaporated. I'll let you ponder why that might be. ;)

8. Cereal Killer

That could explain it then, apparently every strand of whatever is inside the LS-25 has a its own coating of 'something' which has to be removed before soldering (Mark mentioned this in discussion) This is why its only available terminated, it needs burning off carefully with controlled heat and is time consuming.

9. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

The idea that the dialectic alters is a novel concept but there is absolutely no evidence to support it outside of creative hypothesis.

10. Cereal Killer

Same goes for skin effect IIRC.

11. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Skin effect is well understood but not an issue as it does not occur at the low freqs used in hifi.

IMHO burn in does not exist, what does happen is that over a period of time your hearing/brain is adjusting to this new presentation.

12. Cereal Killer

I disagree.

Have look at these links Colin posted on the TQB thread a while back when we were discussing his design/s http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3108936&postcount=326

13. Cereal Killer

Has anyone else on PFM got these in there system/s yet?

14. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yup, none of those links appear to contradict the idea that skin effect is not relevant at audio frequencies.

15. Cereal Killer

From the previous TQB thread:

16. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Awaiting to hear back from them after emailing them about what I require.

17. Cereal Killer

Cool!! maybe quicker to call Mark though! :)

18. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Couldn't find a contact number for him. PM me if you have one please?

19. Cereal Killer

20. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Ahh right got it... cheers