advertisement

Ed Reardon's week

stephen bennett

Mr Enigma
Possibly the best episode ever of possibly the best Radio 4 comedy ever. How Andrew Nickolds and Christopher Douglas have kept up this quality for 12 series is beyond me. Erudite, funny and, well, just brilliant.

If you like Detectorists I'm sure you'll like this too.

Stephen

Sometimes I feel I am becoming Ed Reardon!

Its the best radio comedy on at the moment and as the OP said, consistently good. How could you not love and be simultaneously infuriated with Ping.

Not really a fan. It's OK but often just dull. R4 evening comedy is hit and miss, some works, some not. My favourite was Fags, Mags and Bags, about a corner shop in a suburb of Glasgow run by an Asian shopkeeper and his sidekick Dave, that was very sharply observed. It went out in the morning, don't think it made it to the 6.30 slot and I loved it. It coincided with my being injured, it was a high point in an otherwise rather dull week. It's fallen by the wayside now, I think that they ran out of material, which is a shame.

"Thank you for your help Mrs MacKenzie. Your child may help themselves to any confectionery item to the left of the Double Deckers."

... really a fan. It's OK but often just dull. R4 evening comedy is hit and miss, some works, some not. My favourite was Fags, Mags and Bags, about a corner shop in a suburb of Glasgow run by an Asian shopkeeper and his sidekick Dave, that was very sharply observed....

That explains everything. I thought that was terrible. Comedy is like that.

Stephen

Always loved Reardon. Although I think the debt to Burgess's Enderby books is unacknowledged...

Thanks for the heads up—will peruse.

Nothing new under the sun.

Saturday drams is Graham Greene's Stamboul Train.

Europe in the 1930s. A dangerous place to be. As the Orient Express rattles its way towards Constantinople, a motley group of people find themselves threatened by intrigue, skulduggery and murderous politics'

Christie's Murder on the Orient Express was published in '34, her Stamboul Express was '65. Greene's novel was published in '32.

I'm surprised anyone took that train!

Stephen

Love Ed Reardon, but absolute fav is Old Harry's Game getting a repeat just now....and Absolute power on this evening

S1E1 of Old Harry's Game was on R4Extra last Saturday at 10pm. On iplayer now. Next episode same time this Sat.

Have to agree that Ed Reardon can be a bit dull for me, and that Fags, Mags & Bags was brilliant. A comedy about language itself. But the best writer in radio comedy for me is John Finnemore. Cabin Pressure was just fantastic.

advertisement

Back