advertisement

Ebay warning - policy update on adding links

jamington2004

pfm Member
I just got blocked for 7 days for messaging a URL to a potential buyer - it was a link to product specs on the manufacturer website due to a question about power specs.

Attempts on both chat and phone to reverse the decision were futile. No one really explained why - just kept repeating "information to facilitate trading outside eBay" and "they should purchase the product first then you can share other information". Hmmmmmm

Anyway - sounds like even on item descriptions you won't be able to add links to reviews / product specs etc

It is a recent change and they told me to remove anything from current listings as they are going through them automatically. In my case I will be blocked indefinitely if I break the rules again.

Link to policy update here - particulars link part says you can send links to videos only

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/news/spring2017/links-policy

Annoyingly they do have a big market place and generally I get more for stuff even after fees - but I think I will need to find an alternative. How are you meant to sell without occasionally including a link to a review or something?!

Nutters

And of course they are getting very clever at checking for attempts to share contact info. They pulled me up on a buyer giving me is canuck audio mart username.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/news/spring2017/links-policy

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crazy.

This is an error on their part, surely, sending a link to further info on the product is not soliciting an off site sale.
If this is a new rule, you have to ask why, It makes little sense as potential buyer sometimes request this info, makes them more money I would have thought.

It states links to reviews is fine, so I would have thought links to specs would be ok,
They have made an error it seems,

what link did you add?

I am surprised they refused after checking the link out. They are normally reasonable.

For me google shopping is probably the way forward, but it is a big investment as my site is not optimised at all. About 80% of my sales are ebay, 10% amazon and 10% my own website. I am doing a 6 month campaign with an SEO guy to see if I can double that to 20%.

Both ebay and amazon are getting tougher in terms of rules. We removed all our links ealier this year. The tough one will be logos on pictures...it's already there but any day now I reckon we will be getting a months notice to sort it and there are 5000 pics on ebay.

With ebay I get the tightening up generally, as it is a bit slack and people get away with some naughty stuff on there. But with amazon it is just stupid what they make me do.

Yeah no doubt the rules are there for a good reason (we have all done it in the past to save fees, or get a better price) - but how the method of stopping can include stopping people putting any urls on their ads or messages, I just don't understand how this can work.

Time will tell. But once my hifi bits sell I will probably just try here / gumtree / Friday ad for a while

The funny thing is I am trying to buy a room correction device right now but can't message the seller because I am blocked

So now I will have to buy it on headfi where it also listed :)

Crazy.

This is an error on their part, surely, sending a link to further info on the product is not soliciting an off site sale.
If this is a new rule, you have to ask why, It makes little sense as potential buyer sometimes request this info, makes them more money I would have thought.

It states links to reviews is fine, so I would have thought links to specs would be ok,
They have made an error it seems,

what link did you add?

If you read again - it states "Product videos, e.g. reviews"

I guess they can tell by robot if it's a video? Then less likely it's a site where you can but buy it elsewhere?

I sent a link to a product spec page on Musical Fidelity website. A robot can't tell if that's my own website where the buyer can buy

They are not interested in the little guys. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be glad to see the back of us. I've heard it from someone high up at ebay that they are only interested in the big sellers and of course the buyers.

Just had another discussion - a potential buyer wanted to come and view my turntable in order to decide if he was interested in buying

EBay's response to me asking how I could provide him my address / contact details to arrange the viewing : "First he has to buy it, then you can discuss the viewing".... in order to decide if he wants to buy it

Hmmmmm

As a "business seller" on ebay,my address,contact details (personal email and mobile number) have to be displayed at the bottom of the advert by law.
But when I placed my phone number on the advert itself,I was informed I'd have to remove it !
So then I put on the following adverts "if you prefer to call,my contact details can be seen at the bottom of the advert"
I then got a call from ebay to say that I'm not allowed to "highlight" on the advert that my details are at the bottom of the page !!
Total madness....

My local auction site has operated this way with URLs for a long time, I find telling people what to type into google to find further information is allowed, but I am only a small-fish seller, they probably have different filters for higher volume sellers.

advertisement

Back