advertisement

Early Wharfdales... any good?

I wondered if anyone knows anything about these or can point me in the direction of a bit more info.

I'm thinking W3s W4s - that kind of thing.

I have a pair of 1957 vintage W3's, not the most detail, bit woolly but easy dynamics, surprisingly good to listen to in a non fatiquing way ,
tweeter and mid fires at an angle and 12'' bass, Alnico magnets on bass and mid's, not my main speakers but pull them out to play sometimes,
occupies the same floor space as my Monitor Gold's, got mines free but worth a play if you come across them for peanuts.

Grenadiers.png

Wolly or not I would like to hear these Grenadier behemoths from Empire These too are Alnico and 16inch bass units

Dear Gilbert and Tannoy certainly didnt spend much money on wood but the Alnico they got thru is impressive

However does anyone know if the woolyness is mostly cab or cone - the days before laser interferometry

That's very helpful - thanks.
They sound fun but might be a bit big for (another) spare pair!
Well being single helps in that score, :),
yeah fun is the word though i think part of that woollyness is down to me plonking them on suspended carpetted floor,
wee set of stands to raise them could help, the bass and mid looks to be the same as the SFB's.

After 50 years either they have probably either had the surrounds replaced or need it done pronto.My Wharefdale SFB3 had very delicate open foam like surrounds which fell to bits when touched,not easy to replicate.So it is hard to know how they would have sounded originally,Troels Gravesens site has useful info.

Agree, been thinking about it lately and like to upgrade the crossovers components as well, don't have skills on electronics hence the trepidation on the work.

advertisement

Back