advertisement

Dynavector P75

Vinny

pfm Member
Probably ancient news to many, but I do not read any of the hifi press...............

I enquired about the Mk3 with Pear Audio and was told that a Mk4 will be in the UK shortly. One major change - loading R and C will be infinitely configurable (presumably by a competent end-user???).

Based on what little I have picked-up about the Mk3, it will be a very hard act to follow.

Wasn't impressed with the mk3 thought the mk2 is much better.

Its a great bit of kit but the supplied power supply is suspect.... mine buzzed and whined like a deranged wasp, couldn't listen to it all, but swapped out the power supply for another that came from a USB backup drive and its behaving perfectly now.

Its a great bit of kit but the supplied power supply is suspect.... mine buzzed and whined like a deranged wasp, couldn't listen to it all, but swapped out the power supply for another that came from a USB backup drive and its behaving perfectly now.

My power supply has been absolutely fine and I suppose it must be getting on now. I thought the impact of the power supply had been "engineered" out?

i heard this news recently, too, and am interested in listening to the mk4 Dyna stage, though the added adjustability would probably be lost on me. i use a mk1 with the Dyna SUP-200 step-up and 20x2 cartridge and it's a really fab combination.

P75s aren't supplied with an external power supply - the instructions provide a spec' for one and tell you to use any suitable one or consult the dealer.

P75s aren't supplied with an external power supply - the instructions provide a spec' for one and tell you to use any suitable one or consult the dealer.

I bought mine second hand but you bought yours from a dealer and were expected to get your own power supply? Or are you inferring this from instruction booklet?

I have one that was supplied with the PSU. It even has a sticker on it that says 'P75'.

DV take a very logical approach (in my opinion, and as I read the instructions) - they sell a phono amp that runs off a 12Vdc 500mA supply. Rather than DV providing numerous PSUs to cover the range of mains power options across the world, they supply no PSU at all and ship the same package across the whole world.

My guess - any PSU with a P75 sticker on it was married with the P75 and the sticker added to the PSU, in the UK.

The whole point of how P75s work is that they are unaffected by a PSU of suitable rating, or better. If a PSU did cause buzz, that sounds (pardon the pun) like RF from a p-poor wall wart.

DV take a very logical approach (in my opinion, and as I read the instructions) - they sell a phono amp that runs off a 12Vdc 500mA supply. Rather than DV providing numerous PSUs to cover the range of mains power options across the world, they supply no PSU at all and ship the same package across the whole world.

My guess - any PSU with a P75 sticker on it was married with the P75 and the sticker added to the PSU, in the UK.

The whole point of how P75s work is that they are unaffected by a PSU of suitable rating, or better. If a PSU did cause buzz, that sounds (pardon the pun) like RF from a p-poor wall wart.

That is as may be. I have had at least 4/5 P75's over the years and they all came with the same psu with sticker on it. All bought from UK dealers.

Because they all came via Pear Audio and had their Pear-Audio-supplied wall-wart with them perhaps?

Add a £4 wall wart, add £20 to the trade price and £40 to the retail price?

Read the DV P75 instructions for yourself - they are pretty clear.

Yes i'm aware of what they say. Well Tempered say the same thing, but every one that comes from John Burns at Pear Audio comes with a Wall Wart. The psu's are not charged extra for, the UK retail price includes them, however i dare say the P75 costs less nearer home, which is usual.

That is as may be. I have had at least 4/5 P75's over the years and they all came with the same psu with sticker on it. All bought from UK dealers.

Gary, I imagine you've been through different iterations over the years, I'd be interested to know which one you preferred?

Jay

Gary, I imagine you've been through different iterations over the years, I'd be interested to know which one you preferred?

Jay

Actually Jay i have only had the mk1 and 2. If i'm honest i didn't really hear much difference between them. Having had mostly mk2, i would say it's about the best value phono stage i've heard under a grand or more. I have heard a mk3, but not owned one as i thought it less interesting to listen to, doing the usual trick of more hifi and less music.

Actually Jay i have only had the mk1 and 2. If i'm honest i didn't really hear much difference between them. Having had mostly mk2, i would say it's about the best value phono stage i've heard under a grand or more. I have heard a mk3, but not owned one as i thought it less interesting to listen to, doing the usual trick of more hifi and less music.

Thanks, I've only had the mk1 one myself. These are usually so reasonable that I'd be tempted to pick up a mk3 and see which I prefer. A nice little project!

Thanks, I've only had the mk1 one myself. These are usually so reasonable that I'd be tempted to pick up a mk3 and see which I prefer. A nice little project!

I'd try to hear one before spending the money. I know of a couple of others who came to the same conclusion as myself. The mk1 and 2 are just superb.

I'm with Gary in that (from my own experience as an owner) there's little if any difference - sonically - between the Mk1 & 2. The biggest change with the Mk2 is the more logical layout of the internal jumper pegs.

A great little stage - works brilliantly with a low impedance cartridge in the PE setting especially. My old Ortofon SPU sang like a bird through the P75.

Its MM/HOMC input isn't that special though.

I'd try to hear one before spending the money. I know of a couple of others who came to the same conclusion as myself. The mk1 and 2 are just superb.
I compared my mk1 against a mk3, and found I much preferred the naturalness of the mk1. The mk2 had more hifi pyrotechnics, which I found rather contrived. Both were run with DrT mode with Lyra Kleos (or was it Clavis DC, I can't remember). It may be worth noting that the mk1 persuaded me to ditch a Supercapped Prefix for a wall-wart powered little tin box.

I now wonder if a Trilogy 90X might be even better.

advertisement

Back