advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Where are they?

I am really looking forward to the Roon integration, that should be available soon, just a Roon ‘Nucleus ‘ and a pair of speakers!
Keith

I am really looking forward to the Roon integration, that should be available soon, just a Roon ‘Nucleus ‘ and a pair of speakers!
Keith
Yes that is an appealing set-up - and probably great WAF given the minimal box count! Are there dedicated stands and, if not, then what height is recommended?

Dutch & Dutch is working on producing a dedicated stand. In the meantime, Custom Design is making up some made to measure open frame stands for us. They will be 60cm tall including floor spikes. We will be offering these for sale alongside the speakers.

Custom design do a good job, inexpensive and a quick turnaround, I would personally specify flat head bolts on the bottom plate, I like to use felt pads so I can move the stands around without damaging the floor, as standard CD use round head bolts which protrude a little.
I made up some sorbathane risers for the pair we are taking to Martin Colloms today.
Martijn ( Dutch&Dutch ) is arriving this morning really looking forward to meeting him.
Keith

Hi Keith, I chatted with Martin Colloms at a show once. At the time my outlook was "very objective" like yours is now (mine is now "partly objective") and I asked if he did blind testing as part of his reviews. I think he gave a couple of minor examples where he'd done it, e.g. connectors, but I got the impression his reviews were all sighted. At least, up to that fateful day!

Perhaps you should give him a grilling over it like you do with us (grin).

Martin used to be hugely objective I remember he supervised and wrote up the results for an unsighted amplifier comparison way back when .
Keith

Dutch & Dutch is working on producing a dedicated stand. In the meantime, Custom Design is making up some made to measure open frame stands for us. They will be 60cm tall including floor spikes. We will be offering these for sale alongside the speakers.

I guess that open frame keeps the cooling fans on the bottom unobstructed?

I’ve been doing a fair bit of thinking regarding purchasing these speakers which seem to be just a step or two away from being a great, small form-factor, solution for domestic rooms. The idea of an active speaker with volume control and in-built Roon is really appealing. One issue, though, is how to integrate one or more subwoofers without breaking the small form-factor model. This seems important so as to cater for the speaker roll-off as well as to deal with seat-to-seat variation. The best integration with subwoofers that I’ve experienced has involved a high-pass the main speakers and low-pass to the subs with a delay applied to the main speakers to account for the delay within the subwoofers. Such a set-up is relatively simple with modern AVR / pre-pro or mini-DSP or (I’m guessing DEQX). The one-box solution for the 8c is tantalisingly close in that there is an analogue output that can be subject to DSP and is volume controlled. The missing bit, then, is the time delay and high-pass on the speakers themselves. Is this possible? If so, then what we’re looking at is a monitor that can provide sophisticated bass management features which is seriously impressive.

They have a connection for subs and integration is taken care of with the app, I was talking to Martyn about subs just last week when he popped over for a visit .
He is keen on subs not so much to add bass extension, the 8cs already extend to 20Hz but to use them destructively to cancel room modes.
Keith

They have a connection for subs and integration is taken care of with the app, I was talking to Martyn about subs just last week when he popped over for a visit .
He is keen on subs not so much to add bass extension, the 8cs already extend to 20Hz but to use them destructively to cancel room modes.
Keith

Do you have any insights as to how this would be set-up? (I once tried to set-up a sub with that took the input from a microphone and inverted the phase so as to become a "sink" but never had too much success. My approach since then has been to use multiple subs to maximise room modes but, in doing so, smooth out variations.)

Klein Hummel used to have a sub-woofer system whereby you used some subs on the front wall, then some others on the rear wall fed with a delayed, attenuated out of phase signal, the idea being to cancel out any reflection from the wall behind the listener. iirc you could also do something similar on the side walls. This disappeared from their catalogue when Sennheiser took over. There is a discussion about it here, amongst other places:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...bass-array-dba-modern-bass-concept-print.html

I suppose you could think of it as an active bass trap. There are some of those about too, I believe - PSI Audio, for example, have an AVAA C20.

Do you have any insights as to how this would be set-up? (I once tried to set-up a sub with that took the input from a microphone and inverted the phase so as to become a "sink" but never had too much success.

Like the PSI AVAA? I believe that uses a similar approach.

My approach since then has been to use multiple subs to maximise room modes but, in doing so, smooth out variations.)

You can do this using the sub outputs on the Dutch & Dutch 8c and 8m.

Do you have any insights as to how this would be set-up? (I once tried to set-up a sub with that took the input from a microphone and inverted the phase so as to become a "sink" but never had too much success. My approach since then has been to use multiple subs to maximise room modes but, in doing so, smooth out variations.)

We could do that for you, do you have acoustic measurements of your room?
Keith

I am meeting Martijn this week and we will discuss break out box/preamp options.
Keith
The break out box / preamp seems like a critical part of the system for those of us with more than one source. What did you learn about the functionality / connectivity / timing of this component?

The speakers provide built-in streaming and one other analogue or digital source. Dutch & Dutch is certainly considering introducing its own break out box, but in the meantime there are already lots of third party break out box and preamplifier options available.

Martijn thought a couple of months, they have a working prototype , we discussed connectivity and functionality.
As Lee said there are lots of options already available, I have used both a Weiss INT interface and the RME ADI-PRO2 to send digital to the 8Cs and attenuate.
You can also use a traditional dac and send analogue to the speakers, the 8Cs input is selectable between digital and analogue .
The new app is also superb and includes EQ!
They really are superb loudspeakers, and with ROON almost ready!
Keith

advertisement

Back