advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Where are they?

There will be a ‘Sound-on-Sound’ review of the 8C by Phil Ward in a month or two.
Phil really liked the Kiis so his opinion should be interesting.
Keith

Yeah i'll have a read when it comes out, what did Martin Colloms think of them?

Why do the Kii's have the cover on the mid driver is it because it's a driver with a pressed steel basket? I've not seen any images of the mid?

Yeah i'll have a read when it comes out, what did Martin Colloms think of them?

Why do the Kii's have the cover on the mid driver is it because it's a driver with a pressed steel basket? I've not seen any images of the mid?

And this from someone who would criticise others use of the language.

And this from someone who would criticise others use of the language.

Yeah, sad isn't it?! Actually perhaps i was a little unfair, i quite like the site, reading back through it's not to bad a review, it's the owner of the place that baffles me with his "chewy tone densities" paraphrasing a bit here, but you get the idea.

I'm wondering too what is going on with their listening space, i guess their horns etc work well, but i can only imagine what it sounds like with a more normally aspirated speaker, how they can judge the sound is anyone's guess, reflection city... I can imagine Ethan Weiner having a heart attack seeing this!

Or perhaps that's the point, if you can get believable sound in a space like this, they must be good.

13.jpg

A comparison measurement between the 8Cs placed against a solid brick wall and against glass is on my to-do list .
I see what you mean about the room though a carpet between the listener and speakers is a good idea.
Keith

Probably is part of the point that if they get good sound in that room, it means something.
But if the 8c's perform as promised (I assume they do), you can stand behind them and tell that there is basically no output behind the speaker (as with the Kiis); that surely makes a huge difference in front of that glass. And of course, maybe they have some acoustic panels on some of the walls,we don't know.

But surely there still is output from the rear of the cabinets, similarly with the Kii’s - summed cancellation is not the same as zero output when reflective surfaces exist.

Or perhaps now they have jumped on the "audiophile" bandwagon and realise with a few good reviews under their belts they can make a bit more money, what did the Kii's start of at, oh yes £7500, now they are £11,000? Bit of an increase eh?
Again the worry i'd have is them developing (or the 8C's) a fault down the line and being left with something that can't be repaired.

Didn't know the price had gone up that much! TBH I think they are both supershite value as a package. Ok my system costs around the same in total if I bought everything at the manufacturers RRP, at a quick sum up I paid c£5K including a 2TB SSD server/NAS. And from my experiences with a few active and passive speakers (just a few ;)) I can say, from an informed position that my current system is exactly where I want to be.. the actives have been and gone.

£8995 for the best system you are ever likely to hear in your own room seems pretty reasonable.
Remember everything apart from source included, four amps, DACs ,adcs per speaker, control software for boundary ,contour ,output, input and attenuation just add sources of your choice .
The only really valid way to compare is to listen to both your current system and the 8Cs in your own room.
Keith

that's probably and not true. How can you say something so subjective Keith, give me a graph to prove this is better sounding than my system.

We would have to measure both systems in your room, or you can measure your own system and post the plot , REW software is comprehensive and free, just borrow a USB microphone and away you go.
Keith

Still really rate the Kii Three as a loudspeaker, hugely disappointed to have been kicked off, still completely believe in unsighted comparisons ,level matched if necessary.
You can level match loudspeakers using the signal generator function of REW , I am not it sure how valid matching at one or two frequencies would be though for obvious reasons.

Keith

Didn't know the price had gone up that much! TBH I think they are both supershite value as a package. Ok my system costs around the same in total if I bought everything at the manufacturers RRP, at a quick sum up I paid c£5K including a 2TB SSD server/NAS. And from my experiences with a few active and passive speakers (just a few ;)) I can say, from an informed position that my current system is exactly where I want to be.. the actives have been and gone.

It is great that you are happy with your existing system, but unless you have heard the Kii Three or Dutch & Dutch 8c, I do not see how you can draw any reasonable conclusions about either of those models.

You don't need to hear the gear to reach reasonable conclusions re: the potential risks of relying on embedded software.

... still completely believe in unsighted comparisons ,level matched if necessary.

That is a significant change to your previous mantra, which iirc was 'double blind and level matched' comparisons to be prerequisite.

Depends very much upon the components you are comparing, something like DACs are really straightforward just measure the output voltage of the two units , loudspeakers generally sound very different to each other, with those you have to decide which you prefer, although I suppose level matching through test tones and a microphone wouldn’t hurt.
Keith

advertisement

Back