advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Where are they?

Keith, I'm on your side. But can we see the contents of this spiteful letter please? It may turn more to the D&D if it's as you say. I'll ignore measurements if the makers are sh*ts.
Perhaps one day, ultimately it’s the manufacturers decision who they allow to retail their products , the Kii THREEs and Dutch&Dutch 8Cs are both terrific loudspeakers if anyone really wants to hear what is on the record then I would advise auditioning both.
Everything about them makes perfect sense for high quality reproduction in the 21st century.
Keith

I would be interested in your thoughts on the sound of the Kiis versus DDs (if that's not "out of bounds" for a dealer of both).

I prefer to leave that to reviewers. Setting aside the possibility of upsetting one or both manufacturers with a clumsy sentence or a poorly turned phrase, my subjective opinions are largely irrelevant. I would much prefer to let people hear them both for themselves and draw their own conclusions. Also, I think it would be much more interesting to compare new and innovative designs like the Kii Three and Dutch & Dutch 8c with traditional active systems.

Perhaps one day, ultimately it’s the manufacturers decision who they allow to retail their products , the Kii THREEs and Dutch&Dutch 8Cs are both terrific loudspeakers if anyone really wants to hear what is on the record then I would advise auditioning both.
Everything about them makes perfect sense for high quality reproduction in the 21st century.
Keith

Yes, it's their prerogative. And it is ours when we decide what to buy. And if they are effing over decent dealers (and who would have heard of the Kiis without your enthusiastic support of them?) then I wish to be able to factor that into my (hypothetical, I'm afraid) buying decision!

Dutch&Dutch are quite a bit cheaper, and all adjustments including attenuation can be performed by their ‘free’ app!
Keith

Very sensible Lee, what do you want to know S-Man how they compare subjectively?
Keith
Yes, that was the idea. However I understand Lee's position (hence my caveat in the request).
Of course I understand that somebody's subjective impressions are only that, but some people have more credibility than others.

Yes, that was the idea. However I understand Lee's position (hence my caveat in the request).
Of course I understand that somebody's subjective impressions are only that, but some people have more credibility than others.

Thank you, I think.

No. I will continue to offer both Kii Audio and Dutch & Dutch products.

Current UK ex VAT prices are as follows...

Kii Three standard finishes £8,745.83 ex VAT (£10,495)
Kii Three custom finishes £9,495.83 ex VAT (£11,395)
Dutch & Dutch 8c £7,495.83 ex VAT (£8,995)

Hi Lee

Thanks very much for the openness and clarity.
How do you rate the 8c v Kii for sq?

Cheers - John

I would imagine, its for quality check and failure rates of the painted finish to the cabs. Pro user don't care if there's a microscopic OCD type blemish, where as nerds want the speakers built by virgin angels wearing soft white gloves.

OR .... maybe its because the pro version' cabs will be made in big batches and 'customer choice versions' will be made to order in single numbers.

Or perhaps now they have jumped on the "audiophile" bandwagon and realise with a few good reviews under their belts they can make a bit more money, what did the Kii's start of at, oh yes £7500, now they are £11,000? Bit of an increase eh?
Again the worry i'd have is them developing (or the 8C's) a fault down the line and being left with something that can't be repaired.

Or perhaps now they have jumped on the "audiophile" bandwagon and realise with a few good reviews under their belts they can make a bit more money, what did the Kii's start of at, oh yes £7500, now they are £11,000? Bit of an increase eh?
Again the worry i'd have is them developing (or the 8C's) developing a fault down the line and being left with something that can't be repaired.

Have you not heard of Brexit and the plummeting pound? And why do you think that they can't be repaired? We're not talking Devialet Phantom here.

I wish i hadn't heard of it, but yes its a 46% increase by my reckoning (that'll be the audiophile exchange rate working it's magic! ;))

Anyway back the 8C's im sure theyre very good, are they as good subjectively as the Kii's though? that is the question, there is only one dealer left that can answer that (not Lee obviously as i fear for his safety from the Belgian banditos!).

Yes they are every bit as good, the 8Cs slightly punchier bass, a bit more presence perhaps, a listener could easily prefer one or the other.
You really need to hear both and make up your own mind.
Keith

I'm not saying you won't be able to get them repaired in the future but... my experience tells me you could run into problems. As for repair look at what happened the Event Opals, amazing speaker launched with a lot of fanfare and considerable investment, can you get them repaired now?

Event is part of RODE mics, so they have enough clout to sort out their customers, but the Opals have now become expensive aluminum rectangles, same goes for Dynaudio to some extent, try getting a replacement transformer (a known weak link) for one of there actives 3 years down the line, not available, you'll have to source your own. These are both big companies.

I wish i hadn't heard of it, but yes its a 46% increase by my reckoning (that'll be the audiophile exchange rate working it's magic! ;))

Anyway back the 8C's im sure theyre very good, are they as good subjectively as the Kii's though? that is the question, there is only one dealer left that can answer that (not Lee obviously as i fear for his safety from the Belgian banditos!).

Subjectively, the D&Ds are better. And so are the Kiis.

Yes they are every bit as good, the 8Cs slightly punchier bass, a bit more presence perhaps, a listener could easily prefer one or the other.
You really need to hear both and make up your own mind.
Keith

I'll try to get to hear them at a show or something in the future, i tried to read the review by the husband and wife team on 6moons, i'm guessing English isn't their first language, because i can't make head n' tail of what they're on about :).

There will be a ‘Sound-on-Sound’ review of the 8C by Phil Ward in a month or two.
Phil really liked the Kiis so his opinion should be interesting.
Keith

advertisement

Back