advertisement

Down Jackets

lordsummit

I’m going to buy a new one at Christmas, I bought a cheap Karimor one a few years ago that has done sterling g service, but it’s looking scruffy, and the cheapness of the construction is starting to show through. I’m fancying an upgrade. Any suggestions? The Rab Electron is leaping out at me. Anything better/different I should consider? It’ll be worn for general keeping warm activities in winter, autumn and spring, not for mountaineering. Walking is family walks, the coast. A modicum of rain-proofness would be handy, I do live in Rochdale and work in Oldham after all, but I tend not to undertake voluntary activities in the rain, I have other waterproof stuff when necessary.

I've still got my old Black's eiderdown jacket, cost me fifty quid in 1967. It's shrunk a bit...

The likes of Rab, Berghaus, North Face etc. all do very nice looking down jackets, but they're generally not waterproof. A couple of years ago I was in one of the many outdoor shops in Keswick (we've a second home there) & looking for a down jacket, but the very knowledgeable salesman talked me into a Rab "Photon belay jacket". It's filled with some sort of synthetic padding with a Pertex cover & it's super warm and surprisingly waterproof.

I still have an Eddie Bauer Canadian goose down jacket I got in Chicago in 1983 where it was unbelievably cold that winter.

Don't wear a down jacket in the rain. They don't work, it's not what they are for. Even the ones that claim to be waterproof aren't, not to that extent. Down works when it's below zero, when it's warmer than that you don't need it. Warmer than zero they get wet with rain and/or sweat and it takes very little water to flatten the down and render it useless.

I am a mountaineer, I own 3 DJs. The most useful is the lightest and cheapest, it's a Mountain Eqpt one that is brilliant. I use it on the hill and around town when there is snow on the deck. I have its big brother, but that's too warm in better then -10C temps. I'm a mountaineer, I use the stuff a lot. The warm one never gets used in the UK, it's never cold enough. If I were to go trekking in Bolivia, then I'd need it for the campsite in the evenings when temps sink below zero around sunset and head down fast thereafter, the plateau there is at 4k metres. In Derbyshire in January, hardly.

For UK wear, and the occasional damp afternoon (is there any other sort in Oldham?) I would buy one of the synthetic alternatives. Wear it, get it wet and dirty, wash it, job done.

Rohan or North Face for me

I was amazed that the rohan ones fitted me TBH as I've a 52-54" chest (well, read large back and shoulders, not so much a barrel chest etc).

However, my Rohan one is nearly 8 years old and coming to the end of its service, it's my 'chores' jacket now etc

Bought a North Face one last year from Cotswolds and it's superb, but doesn't have the inner map pocket which I do miss TBH!

Both machine washable which is a big benefit IMO! Plus the Rohan one has lifetime guarantee (it's been in for a few minor stitch repairs where I've caught it on thorns etc)

I know, it’s not for rainwear, but sometimes I arrive and it’s fine, then an hour later there’s the inevitable light drizzle...

Canada Goose, wow the prices! £150ish was my thinking. Cheap, I know!!

£150 is bottom end for down. Synthetics are a better choice for what you want, I'd say. They are heavier and bulkier, which is a so-what if you aren't packing them. As for goose, well, you are talking about the best of the best of the best. Duck is cheap, goose (very) expensive, Canada goose is "if you need to ask". You might as well say "I want a German car...one from Stuttgart would be good...yeah, a Porsche...nice 911...yeah, a 911...now then, do I compromise on a GT3 or shall I say "sod it" and have the GT2? Wonder what they cost?"

I have a down Jacket that I rarely wear but it is very nice when I do need it - Mountain Equipment Annapurna I think - bought it about 35 years ago. If I wanted a cost effective down jacket today I would try a Lands End one. I have some of their other jackets and they are usually pretty good PLUS they have an unlimited guarantee so if you don't get on with it just send it back.

Try this one for size: http://www.landsend.co.uk/Mens_Down_Jacket/pp/P_38097.html?cgid=11372

I've had a North Face Nupste for a few years, still warm but a little short in the back and verging on too small due to me spreading. Recently upgraded to Mountain Equipment but so far its too warm for everyday use.

I'd be looking at TNF Thermoball or similar for £150. Look for insulated hood for deceptive warmth.

Another mountaineer here.

I'd echo Steve 67's advice and avoid down for cold UK weather. If you're going to wear it often, it'll get dirty and they're hard to wash and dry properly without ruining the insulation.

Mountain Equipment (and many others) make a jackets with primaloft, which, while being a bit more resilient to losing its loft when wet, more importantly, recovers its loft much better than down when it dries out.

Consider going for one with an integral hood, rather than zip/press-stud attached. The collar won't be as tight so it allows you to layer underneath and still put your hood up without being asphyxiated. Most belay jackets have this design but may be too warm for anything energetic as indeed, will be any really lofty down jacket.

I'm not familiar with the current Rab range but I have a 20 year old down jacket from them that is still going strong.
I like most ME stuff, I have the Citaldel and Fitzroy jackets and can't fault them. but for me, even the light one is too warm for brisk walking.
My Rohan trousers seem indestructible. I think I got them in Keswick about 1998; It would be worth making trip back to the UK just to get another pair, which I reckon would outlive me.

I still have an Eddie Bauer Canadian goose down jacket I got in Chicago in 1983 where it was unbelievably cold that winter.

My Eddie Bauer sleeveless Goose Down jacket also came from the Chicago store, more like 2004 though. But it was made in China. Sadly the store is now closed, was one of favorite places to shop in Chicago. I was there most years in February - which can be punishingly cold.

I've got a Montane Black Ice 2.0 ( you can find end of line deals still I think) which is their hybrid Primaloft/ down jacket, which is toasty enough for winter adventures/camping in the Cairngorms. It's a decent length compared to many that you see on the high street, there's nowt worse than a cold bum. I reckon Rab, Montane, and Mountain Equipment are the best of British makes.

I'll echo the previous comments about 100% down jackets being useless in the wet, although the Primaloft ones will shrug off a shower without too much of a compromise in performance, mine has been used in mixed conditions to no long term detriment.

If you do go for down, try to find if its been ethically sourced - there's a fair bit of chat about certain manufacturers as regards this.

As for goose, well, you are talking about the best of the best of the best. Duck is cheap, goose (very) expensive, Canada goose is "if you need to ask". You might as well say "I want a German car..."

A very, very warm jacket can be totally inappropriate for temperate climates. I have a friend who bought a Timberland McMurdo jacket. He finds it too warm to wear - even standing at the football.

Not a great success.

I echo comments about down being not so useful in the rain or if it becomes warm enough for you to sweat. I also have grave ethical concerns about the harvesting of down. You might want to have a look at this company: http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sj9-softie-jacket#

U.K. Made no down and quite highly rated. I would look for something without a hood and get a warm hat - hoods are annoying when you're looking around to cross the road.

I also think it's a mistake to buy a coat based on the coldest weather you expect to encounter as you'll rarely use it - much better to layer when it gets really cold with a decent set of long under wear.

A very, very warm jacket can be totally inappropriate for temperate climates. I have a friend who bought a Timberland McMurdo jacket. He finds it too warm to wear - even standing at the football.
My heavy ME jacket is like this. Whenever I put it on I am toasty warm but as soon as I go indoors in it I fall asleep. If I wear it outdoors for any activity I end up wet through, unzipping the front and flapping the sides about. (Ooer)

advertisement

Back