advertisement

Do you remember the first box set of records you owned or bought?

It's still right there on the shelf.

Dust free!

First box set here was Beethoven. I cannot be arsed to check out details but it was around 6 or so records all Songs except one which was the Fantasia for piano, choir and orchestra. the other records I only played once, fantasia I wore out.

Bloss

Still have it as well...

MI0001790314.jpg

For me it was Palatine - The Factory Story
4xLP box set.
Released 1991 as Factory fell apart.

Lots of Joy Division, New Order, Durutti Column, A Certain Ratio, Happy Mondays, Cabaret Voltaire, Section 25, Electronic...

...and, er, a bit of Northside, The Wendys, EnglandNewOrder, The Railway Children.

Still, a brilliant if indulgent compilation with great photos and packaging.

Played over and over again when I was a student. Now a bit battered, stained and scratched but we had a lot of fun, and that's the point isn't it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000025MAV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

My copy is probably worth rather less, but it's not for sale anyway.

Damian

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Escalator Over the Hill, c.1973. Would have been around seventeen, so a pretty major purchase. Still sounds great today (albeit ex CD now) and Gato Barbieri's solo on the first side is probably the most intense playing I have ever heard - just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine.

The only set I have is Kate Bush - This Womans Work, glad I have it and I still enjoy it.
A couple of people have mentioned Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar, wow, I'd love that on vinyl.
Evanescence released a box set recently but it's expensive and I try to find reviews re. the vinyl quality on any new pressings before purchasing.

Regards

Chas.

Only bought boxed sets fairly recently. Have Dire Straits studio albums, Queen studio albums and Phil Collins studio albums. Really enjoy them all.

In the mid 1970's & still on my shelf. The Gale box of Schumann & Brahms Lieder. Sheila Armstrong - Soprano & Martin Jones - Piano. It is in a nice (black) box, but the box only contains one record and the booklet.

Ira Gale made a famouse turntable and the GS401 speakers.

My parents had a box set of Eric Robinson World of Music (Readers Digest). I still have it.
10 LPs, mostly by country, and actually very well made and still very playable. Some good stuff in there!

Does 2 LPs in a DG box count as a box set? If so, it was either ;

Mahler 2 - Abbado, Chicago SO
or
Beethoven (Complete) Symphonies - Kubelik, Various Orchestras

Not sure if I bought The Last Waltz before or after the above, but really don't think, even with three LPs, it counts as a 'box' - it's three LPs in a slip case-type sleeve.

If that's a box, then does ELP's triple gatefold "Welcome Back My Friends...." count as a box set?

Does anyone else have the Time Life "Swing Era" box set, either as their own, or inherited from a parent? These were remakes by studio bands and orchestras of the classics, with a lovingly-assembled hardback book in each. My dad got them mail-order back in the day, and assembled the complete collection of ... 12? 15? boxes ....

Swing%201.jpg

Swing%202.jpg

Swing%203.jpg

My parents had a box set of Eric Robinson World of Music (Readers Digest). I still have it.
10 LPs, mostly by country, and actually very well made and still very playable. Some good stuff in there!

Do I remember a fine performance of the Arthur Bliss music from "Things to come" in that set?

About the same time (just after getting my first turntable) I bought
- Trevor Pinnock's Handel 12 Concerti Grossi Op. 6 Amazon link Op. 6
- Vol. 14 of the Bach Cantatas on Das Alte Werk label because it had my favourite Widersteh' der Sünde BWV54 cantata with Paul Esswood/Gustav Leonhardt Bach%3A+Cantatas%2C+1st+ed+Vol+14+Leonhardt
- Zappa's Joe's Garage https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joes-Garage-VINYL-Frank-Zappa/dp/B01LWXCA1V/ref=sr_1_1_twi_lp__3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1497957284&sr=1-1&keywords=zappa+joe%27s+garage
Happy days.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
uh oh, this could be embarrassing, how about Gary Numan 'Living Ornaments'. The next box set I bought after that was Springsteen Live 75-85.

advertisement

Back