advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

SQ no he’s still claiming all the damage was done by the courier and ebay just isn't reacting ?.
The bass drivers were both seized they have that white corrosion around the magnet and are solid so I am claiming they could not have been in working condition when sold.
The mids & trebles were damaged by the guy packaging the speakers in cardboard fruit boxes which were an exact fit around the speaker so any contact with the outer packaging caused damage to the drivers. He is trying to claim from the insurance on delivery but there was no damage to the outer packaging and the packaging was inappropriate for 30KG speakers so I don't think he has any claim and I have said all this to ebay but they haven't responded at all.
My own feeling is he knew they didn’t work and packaged them badly deliberately to claim on the insurance for damage in transit.
I am going to ask for the case to be escalated in the next few days and then try and claim from PayPal if eBay doesn't award a full refund to me
Alan

I thought they looked liked AST's from Avondale.Are you using 18V secondary's?
I would have liked some of them and I do intend to ask LesW about his E&I transformers. I am using E&Is as they have better mains filtering than Toroid's and they also take up less space in the enclosure, the down side is they give off a bigger EMI field than toroid's so they need as much distance and if possible shielding from the phono amplifier boards.
Actually the outputs from these transformers were supposed to be 2 x 24V @230 v primary's, but my mains is 250v so I am getting 28.9v from them (unloaded) after rectification & smoothing and with a 1.7K load across each output I get + & - 37.4V DC from each output.
This is a bit high and I think would be an ideal case to introduce an inductor before the rectifiers ALA John Luckins recommendations.
I do have a small Dale IHA-502 10uh inductor in each now but they are not big enough and the supply doesn't have a permanent load.

Just spotted an error in my secondary's wiring which I have now corrected :eek:
Alan

26.5 at the input to the paradise is spot on, any more is too much for the heatsinks, anything under 25 too little for the shunts to do their thing.

Stick a common mode choke in before the rectifiers.

Thanks Si that sound like a good plan, do you have a link to the data sheet for those chokes you got ?

Alan

Alan, I'm really sorry about the speakers, you must be very disappointed - I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks Mark I am absolutely gutted TBH I was so looking forward to hearing them in my system.
Anyway maybe another decent pair will come along soon?.

Alan

Just got my Paradise together and working about an hour ago :). Loading is achieved by push fit pin sockets on the circuit board that a combinations of capacitor and resistors can be easily inserted in to.

With four separate chassis (in my case) there are lots of options with how to configure the signal and power earths. I've got quite a bit of experimentation to do but a small amount of messing about has already cleared up a tiny bit of residual buzz.

null_zps237d85d5.jpg

This pic doesn't show the wiring and the protective film is still on the black acrylic chassis boards - but I'm going to have to take it to bits again when I fit the etched back panels!

I didn't have much of a chance to listen to it before. It's had a few hours on now and am having a listen now. Entirely remarkable is my view - full details tomorrow!

:) I can't guarantee perfection :) (of course I can) - honestly though, this is the next step on mate!

Seriously, I just spent two hours listening and the Paradise absolutely wiped the floor with my previous atage in every way!!!

Quite simply, this is, by some extent, the best phono stage I have ever heard!

advertisement

Back