advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

Si, where did you get the acrylic front panels made up please? My Paradise boxes are a little smaller than a Naim shoebox size and would need four mounting holes.

They do look very professional indeed and why not after the meticulous and professional way you built the boards...fabulous!

Chilly pm ynwoan for panels.

If using calvin boards then on load at the input to the shunt regs, 27.5v absolute max in an amazingly vented case. I set all mine at 26.5v which leaves wriggle room both ways for plus/minus five volts fluctuation on the mains.

24.5 is absolute minimum, shunt stops working below that.

Just checked my voltages so that I can order some new dropper resistors. The +V are both +26.7V which I assume is fine. The -V however are both -32V. Is it normal to have less current demand on the negative rails?

Nope. If you are running Calvin's, disconnect them and measure the rails before the shunt reg. If voltages become even your Calvin's are bad, if they don't your shunt reg is bad.

Watch how long it takes the led strings to light up on the sides of the boards, they should come up together, within half a second of each other.

Of course you could have a short elsewhere on the board.

It's odd that I have the same conditions on both boards. Shunt op voltages are ok. I bought these amp/psu boards completed. What is the normal current consumption (inc Calvin boards)? I'm wondering which are correct - the + rails or the -rails. Will try to discon the Calvins.

Quick check of currents before disconnecting - negative supplies 174ma and positive supplies 218ma. Positive rail leds illuminate fractionally faster. Shunt outputs are around 18.5V

Although I have a set of boards to build, this phono amp I bought completed - or so I thought. I built the pre-regs. I've PM'd the seller querying the mismatch.

Matching all the parts and doing all the set on test stuff is where the magic lies.

Disconnect signal in out from the Calvins.
Fit a 100K resistor into the empty slot.
Adjust shunt trimpot to get equal voltage then adjust Calvin trim pot until voltages match and yhe led strings light up equally.
This takes a few go rounds.
Then remove the 100K and reattach signal wires and it'll be golden.

I imagine there's a lot of part dialled in Paradises out there.

Matching all the parts and doing all the set on test stuff is where the magic lies.

Disconnect signal in out from the Calvins.
Fit a 100K resistor into the empty slot.
Adjust shunt trimpot to get equal voltage then adjust Calvin trim pot until voltages match and yhe led strings light up equally.
This takes a few go rounds.
Then remove the 100K and reattach signal wires and it'll be golden.

I imagine there's a lot of part dialled in Paradises out there.

Si,

When you say, ",,,then adjust Calvin trim pot until voltages match..", where on the Calvin's are you measuring the voltage(s)?

Ta

Across the Top left and second resistors down on the right. Think it's the 22r, I'd have to check the schematic.

I get 93mv and 93.5mv across those two resistors, r6and r11, the 2.2ohm parts.. Each time you redial the calvin board you'll need to adjust the trim pots on the main board. Eventually it should all even out.

advertisement

Back