advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

It's the boards from my first build, but with new led's, 2sk170, j113, new loading cap and resistor, all new signal wiring, new compensation caps and all new transistors on the input stage and current mirrors. The psu, case work and wiring on everything are all new.

I'm still using, and will continue to do so, my second build. The third build with the common mode chokes and inductors was for Ynwan.

So I've done three scratch builds and this one is a 50% rebuild with better parts that match those used in my 'keeper'. This one looks like my keeper, so it's a little confusing. Though the psu on this one is bang tidy compared to mine.

Yep, that second one Si built, with the choke regulated power supplies, is for me. I've used Si's own Paradise in my system a few times and it really is outstanding - the best phono stage I have heard and by some margin. I haven't had a chance to box mine up yet (four cases in my case), but I've got all the bits now and should have it done in a week or so :).

I'm looking forward to hearing that, but not the prospect of having to split mine to add the requisite common mode chokes and inductors.

This GB seems to be over. Any suggestions on other (preferably lower cost as this one looks pricey) GBs/kits/designs/PCBs that I could do a search on?

This GB seems to be over. Any suggestions on other (preferably lower cost as this one looks pricey) GBs/kits/designs/PCBs that I could do a search on?

This GB was/is the greatest diy hi-fi bargain of the century.

For peanuts you had access to a phono stage that to better commercially you would have to spend into the thousands.

Everything is relative I suppose.

The Paradise as a commercial product would be around 6K - so yes, within context, the GB was a real bargain.

Am going to take my paradise power supply round to Si's tomorrow and compare it(them) to his own version powering the Paradise :).

Should be interesting to see how they fare. i do expect it to sound different.

Bring some wire with you Mark.

Well I don't mind if they sound different or not. If I do think mine sounds worse it will be easy enough to sell the boards on and Si will build me one of the other supplies - so I really have nothing to lose :).

Simon... you know that I love you to pieces but....

The conclusion will be that they do sound different because you expect them to sound different.

;););)
Naughty :D

It will be very interesting to hear the result.
Dribble :rolleyes:
It depends on the PSRR of the paradise boards? if thats realy good then the difference may be subtle.
They are both good rectifier filter supplies one being cheaper to make than the other.
The cap6 supply might have been better with EI transformers, higher radiated magnetic field but better filtering than Torriods, you can experiment with resistors or inductors between the caps, normally its resistors for low current supplies.
The supply with the inductors looks good as well but Im not sure that the full wave bridge may introduce more noise and snubbers are not normally needed with ultrafast rectifiers, but that said those big inductors and common mode chokes may make all the difference
This is exciting can we all come to the Bake off ?:D

Alan

Well we were going to to the comparison this afternoon but unfortunately Si has too much work to do - it will be next week now.

Si, I guess when you install the Calvin Buffer for the Paradise, this will improve PSRR even further making the supply board less significant. :):cool:

Ah I see that the board with the inductors is the JG pre reg board Nice
Alan

advertisement

Back