advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

There's no real difference in size, the boards I use have an extra cap per rail and there's space for correct c-rc snubbers of the transformer secondaries. A small but worthwhile improvement.

Holler if you need any help with the build.

Thank you Simon , can you PM me price for your PSU boards.
Paradise boards bought&paid :) , should be in the post today.
It seems like perfect project, I spend a lot of time in hotels, I can do all transistor testing away from home then.
I start looking slowly into buying all parts, question to Simon , do you have list/do you remember suppliers/make off most critical parts
Many thanks
Slav

I use the the pro version of the Atlas, the one with curve tracing via PC USB interface.

Resistors from mouser, lytics from mouser, leds from farnell, styrene riaa caps from rushonline, transistors from anywhere that has them, you'll end up buying loads. Hammond 158t from dutch jukebox guys, common mode chokes from mouser, psu transformers from rs or electronik. (something eastern European), wimas from anywhere, opa627bp from farnel, 15 ohm caddocks from louder, 2sk170 from alweit on eBay, buy matched quads. Fischer heatsinks, good luck with those they are unicorn poop. QSpeed ltq diodes, 10 amp 300v from louder, j113 transistors from little diode and that's about it.

A full set of dual mono psu boards is four boards, two traffo and two rectifier smoother boards, cost is £25 inc UK p and p. Ill throw in the 82 ohm resistors needed for the c-rc snubbing. I have pics of all the wiring etc if you want to follow a proven hum free layout.

Hi Simon
Many thanks for all the info , can you PM me your PayPal account email so I could pay for PSU boards.
Regards
Slav

I put the new power supply in its case today and finished off the wiring.
Sounding excellent already, soundstage is wider voices sound more natural and dynamic contrast is greater.
Hopefully there is more to come :)
I have 25VDC to the paradise input and 18v 0 18v to both amp boards
Certainly a worthwhile mod over my standard power supply
Thanks to Simon for taking the time to get those new boards produced.

IMG_2945 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_2949 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan
Hi Alan
Can you point me to place you have bought your Galaxy cases
Regards
Slav

DSC_9326-1100x1100.jpg

i'd totally forgotten you'd used those Alan, I've just bought a pair of their bigger brothers to finish off a Paradise I've had 90% built for a while.

I've also just had a set of boards turn up from Joachim, the Paradise designer. He's asked me to build them up with the full set of circuit mods and my preferred parts selection. Should be fun. I'm not looking forward to matching the transistors, they're getting harder to find in suitable hfe values.

Should be ideal Si, its deffo a tight squeeze for everything in the ones I used :eek:.

Its certainly sounding better with the new supplies though so that was worthwhile ;)
Still contemplating building 2 of the latest boards with your mods as well but like you not looking forward to the matching transistors part and how many thousand I have to buy to get those matches :(

Alan

I've bitten the bullet and bought three boxes for my Paradise phono amp. One box for the PSU and a box for each Paradise board. Which is all well and good, and will look much better than a tacky NAP 90.3 box for the amps and cobbled together PSU box.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out the best earthing arrangement. I've looked at numerous Paradise boxings, re-read chunks of the original Paradise builders thread over on DIYAudio and scratched my head over the earthing diagrams in the back of the building guide; this one...

My current setup is earthed through the TT earth wire to mains earth (up through the TT's PSU). Interestingly this directly connected earth from the TT is connected to the GND of the Paradise boards. With the move over to a 774 Mission arm that earth will disappear. The TT's metalwork will still be earthed through the PSU and the arm's metalwork earthed up the left channel's screen, which is connected to cartridge's left GND in its phono plug.

So, I needed an earthing scheme that would work without a separate, earth connected tonearm wire.

This is what I came up with...

It looks safe, all the chassises are earthed...

I have seen a few pictures were the GND from the back of the HackerCaps is directly connected to the chassis; that doesn't seem right to me.

The extra earth you're running back to the psu from the middle of the board usually isn't needed. It's improved things for me on one of 21 builds. Common all the signal gnds on the chassis of each paradise box then that extra return is redundant.

A couple of extra 50uf caps on the psu pins of the paradise boards will help negate cable inductance effects which can upset the apple cart on marginal builds.

Earth your tonearm to one paradise chassis, do it commons with the signal gnds.

Best of luck

The extra earth you're running back to the psu from the middle of the board usually isn't needed. It's improved things for me on one of 21 builds.

With both Paradises in a single box, as now, the signal GND in the middle of the board is connected to the tonearm earth, which is connected to mains earth in the TT's PSU.

I'm sure I've read that the connection is necessary, but for the life of me I can't find the ref... :(

Common all the signal gnds on the chassis of each paradise box then that extra return is redundant.

So, the Paradise box chassises would 'float'. I did wonder about this as there are no mains voltages in the the boxes - something to try.

A couple of extra 50uf caps on the psu pins of the paradise boards will help negate cable inductance effects which can upset the apple cart on marginal builds.

Done :)

Earth your tonearm to one paradise chassis, do it commons with the signal gnds.

The tonearm doesn't have a separate earth wire. Its is earthed via the left channel wire's shield at the phono plug on the back of the Paradise box.

Best of luck

Ta.

I may get those PSU boards up and running one day...

I've always floated the paradise chassis. Just be sure you your psu wires can't slip and send 27 volts up your cartridge... 150mA ain't going to hurt you, but your preamp might not thank you for a stray wire.

Keep signal and psu gnd separate.

I must be the last person to start building my paradise and buffer boards.

Which supplier and brand has the highest hfe for the BC337-40 and BC327-40 transistors?

Sharif.

Sharif I have spares, you can have them. IL check what my last orders were from Farnell. They had incredible matching per type but poor cross matching across p and n.

advertisement

Back