advertisement

DIY speaker cable for fussy naps?

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
As I can't/ refuse to understand the impedance and complicated (& very boring) cable teccy spiel, may I simply ask:

has anyone knocked up any 'DIY' speaker cable which fussy naim amps can use thats works well, but that's less aggressive than naca5?

cheers, Capt.

Take a 10R, 3W metal film resistor and wind 20 turns 6mm dia of heavy gauge solid-core wire (eg 1mm dia or so) around, soldering to the leadouts. Add in series at +ve amp outputs. Use any cable you damn well please ;)

Sorry to but in on this thread but is this solution the type that Les uses on his NCC200?

If so i will give this a go and put my speaker xovers as close to the power amps as possible. Mr Tibbs did this with his NCC200 amps and reported an improvement to having them at the speaker end of the cable.

Thanks stu

I dunno, possibly. What I'm suggesting is a small output inductor (damped by a resistor) which together should make the amp reasonably agnostic to cables

That's pretty much what Les has done on the NCCs, yup. The damped inductor keeps the NAP boards under control.

Thanks Martin- just the sort of straigtforward answer I was hoping for.

I was also wondering if anyone had tried, or found some diy cost-effective cable with or without the nap inductor/ resistor approach? 'Cat 5' I seem to remember was nattered aout on a thread; whether with naim in mind though I don't recall.

Cat 5-based cables tend to be very high capacitance , so I'd be rather wary even with a 'prepared' naim-based amp...

Before they produced their own Naim used to recommend in their owners manual that you use RS type 360-396 multi strand twisted at a rate of 4 turns per metre.

nva ls2 cheap as chips 10mtrs 2 x 5 mtr runs terminated £30 is it worth the faffing ?

and it really opens up the naim sound

add in a money back guarantee

a no brainer

Cap,

this may also be what you're looking for; cheap, flexible and less bristle then the NAC.

Best,
Oliver

thanks for the replies-

Oliver do you know if that meridian stuff is naim friendly (I guess I can do the r/ inductor if not)- have you 'heard 'any of it?

Cap,

the manufacturer specifies the capacitance as 136pF/metre. I have run it with quite a few amps (including a Nait3) with no problems. To my ears it 'sounds' really good, with a well-defined bass and unobtrusive treble.
IIWY, I'd not rely on my anecdotal evidence and bodge up an inductor, just to make sure.

Best,
Oliver

advertisement

Back