advertisement

DIY - NAPSC clone

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Thanks to Andy Weekes for this one:

here's the lazy mans way of building a NAPSC.

It's not the cheapest, but it is good quality and easy to build, since the PCB / PSU is purchased pre-built and tested.

Firstly you'll need one of these: -
pcb1500.jpg

This is a Lawtronics SLA1500 sealed lead-acid, current limited charger. It's basically a PCB containing toroid / rec / smoothng + an LM317K with heatsink.

They are available from Farnell, in a couple of flavours (Data Sheet ) the 12/24V being the one to go for. The farnell p.no. for the charger unit is 4271040, and they are £42.65 in 1-off's.

Note that there's also a diode in series with the o/p that should be removed, since it worsens regulation - it's there to prevent damage from incorrectly connected batteries.

In addition you'll need a case, and if you fancy something nice, it can be squeezed into one of these: -

Sexy Enclosures
33690i1.jpg

The largest sizes are the ones you want. The board slides into slots in the case - so no drilling to fix it in!

There's little room for an IEC inlet so a couple of cable glands to take the mains cable in and the DC out + an internal fuse holder (which you can attach to the PSU board) will save space. If you're careful you may be able to fit a single panel-mounted fuseholder, but things are tight and you'll need to plan carefully.

Finally you'll need a connector for the NAPSC supply, again Maplin come to the rescue, with a two-pin microphone connector that is exactly what Naim use: -
Cheap Connectors

Don't forget to earth the metal enclosure, you'll have a unit that looks the business for a fraction of the new price and a piece of piss to build.

I doubt it would be much cheaper if you built the raw PSU bit yourself.

The charger boards have an on-board current limit (designed for charging sealed lead-acid chargers) but this can be disabled easily if you want to. YOu can also upgrade caps etc as you see fit, and the output voltage is set with a pot - I'd remove it and fit fixed R's to give the correct output, to save future unreliability and additional noise.

I'd also permanently link the 12/24 V selection jumpers too, for the same reasons.

You can obviously add an LED (a useful reminder of the presence of power in there, I use one of these for the purpose of keeping preamps warm, whilst swaaping and evaluating.

--------------------------------------
There was also a question re earthing/grounding:

"If I only want to feed the external PSU to the analogue stages of a CD player, will I need to isolate the analogue stage ground from the rest of the player, or is it OK to feed both O volts to the same ground."

ALW replied:
"You should not need to isolate the 0V's - in fact you'll need them connected.

The only thing to watch is connections to mains earth - just ground the case of any enclosure you use, but keep the mains earth seperate from the 0V."

Added 23 / 03/ 2005: -

NAPSC Pinout: Pin 1 = +V, Pin 2 = 0V

advertisement

Back