advertisement

Dirty Brik's

oldie

pfm Member
Hi All,

Whilst my Linn Brik's are generally in a brilliant condition after being very well looked after by there original owner, I was informed by Lintone Audio who I purchased them from that they supplied them originally and that the purchaser had spent most of his time in America,during this time all of his Linn based system had been covered with cotton dust sheets so no UV on the foam grills.Apparently whilst he was away Lintone had been called on to periodically to check and if needed service his system so its condition had been continually monitored

I'm now beginning to notice that the foam grills are starting to look a little worse for wear, they are not disintegrating but just collecting the usual house hold air bourn dust

So I thought that I just might try to give them a bit of a spruce up I was thinking of just laying them in a bath of warm soapy water and giving them a very gentle agitation by hand, So my Question is , is there anybody out there that has had a similar problem and did they use a similar method to clean the foam grills or is there a better method.

Just before the suggestion is given to replace or remove them , I like the look of them with the grills in situ and they are not in the position of needing to be replaced,( yet :)) although I'm not sure about that after cleaning.
oldie

Its ages since I owned a pair, but I just washed the grilles in the bath as you describe and it worked great. They looked good as new after, a huge difference to the top grilles that get so dusty and were grey before. How well that would work now I’d not like to predict. I bought mine second hand in around 97 or 98 IIRC, and they were a nice late spec pair with the crossover in the stands, so were likely well under a decade old at the time so the foam wouldn’t have started to rot.

It’s Briks, not Brik’s.

I did politely ask a question on how would be the best way to clean them and not for a lesson in the English Language Grammar.:rolleyes: I have just about managed and made myself understood for for the last 74 years. if this is the best answer/ advice that you can offer, I would politely suggest
to you that you keep your fingers away from your key board.

MM
"They are Isobariks, or Isos"

I have never heard them called "Isos", it was always either the full title of Linn Isobarks, Isobarks or the slang name of "Brik"
oldie

I did politely ask a question on how would be the best way to clean them and not for a lesson in the English Language Grammar.:rolleyes: I have just about managed and made myself understood for for the last 74 years. If this is the best answer/ advice that you can offer, I would politely suggest
to you that you keep your fingers away from your key board.

MM
"They are Isobariks, or Isos"

I have never heard them called "Isos", it was always either the full title of Linn Isobarks, Isobarks or the slang name of "Brik"
oldie

It wasn’t a lesson, it was a correction.
I’m sure you’ve made yourself understood for a long time, but that’s not what it’s about...

It wasn’t a lesson, it was a correction.
I’m sure you’ve made yourself understood for a long time, but that’s not what it’s about...

OK correction,but I really just don't need your help in this area, I'm just curious as to who actually enrolled you into this elevated position,
again I would respectfully suggest that if you either can not or are not going to answer the question asked in good faith, then you resist the temptation of using your key board.
oldie

Washing them in luke warm soapy water may work for a few years but once they are on the turn they can quite quickly look shabby. Be vey careful when you take them out of the water as the extra weight can cause the thinner portions to rip.

Rgds
Stuart

Thanks folk's
It would seem that the general consensus of opinion confirms my original thoughts of warm soapy water and a gentle touch
oldie

i refoamed my first pair of mark 1's with sheets i cut to size

once foamrot begins it never stops.

Briks, Bricks, Isos, Bariks...
Weren't they sometimes called "Coffins" (due to their sheer size) way back, or am I just imagining it?

advertisement

Back