advertisement

digital TV as source and CA Dacmagic 2 Mk2 query

coltrane

electrobaroCKjazzer
as above, given is a digital TV, a Samsung UE40ES7000 actually, used for watching digital broadcast and HD films, and as a source for digital music taken from the net. it can output digital sound, FLAC, WAV, and MKV/MKA signals (as its owner says). the question is, will this work with the good 'n' old Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 Mk2 DAC from the '90s? to note, there are CD and DAT coax, and an optical, inputs on the back of the CA DAC, and it seems to be able to work with 32, 44.1 or 48kHz sources (or whatever). I'm totally dumb for this as is the owner of the TV, hence the maybe silly question. any views, lads? thanks

Should work fine. I've got a 55" Sony hooked up to DAC through a switching unit. You might have to fiddle around with lip sync settings though - I did.

Basically, I've got a Humax box and a Blu Ray player connected to the TV with HDMI cables and a take an optical feed from the TV to my DAC.

Rich

as above, given is a digital TV, a Samsung UE40ES7000 actually, used for watching digital broadcast and HD films, and as a source for digital music taken from the net. it can output digital sound, FLAC, WAV, and MKV/MKA signals (as its owner says). the question is, will this work with the good 'n' old Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 Mk2 DAC from the '90s? to note, there are CD and DAT coax, and an optical, inputs on the back of the CA DAC, and it seems to be able to work with 32, 44.1 or 48kHz sources (or whatever). I'm totally dumb for this as is the owner of the TV, hence the maybe silly question. any views, lads? thanks

It should do, I brought a MK1 from someone here for exactly this purpose a couple of years ago, works fine :).

Should work fine. I've got a 55" Sony hooked up to DAC through a switching unit. You might have to fiddle around with lip sync settings though - I did.

Basically, I've got a Humax box and a Blu Ray player connected to the TV with HDMI cables and a take an optical feed from the TV to my DAC.

Rich

Where did you find Lip Sync settings? I do the same as you, HDMI>TV, Optical>DAC, but only because when I went straight from the Virgin TiVo, it was out of sync.

ta

The lip synch settings were in the audio options on both my DVD player and on the Humax box. I'm not familiar with TIVO but I'd be surprised if it didn't have something similar. Try Googling for it.

Alternatively, you could probably change the lip sync settings on your TV. If your're lucky ,you might be able to configure different delay settings to each HDMI input. You should be able to sort it out one way or another. Good luck with it.

Alternatively, you could probably change the lip sync settings on your TV. If your're lucky ,you might be able to configure different delay settings to each HDMI input. You should be able to sort it out one way or another. Good luck with it.

The TV is fine, thanks. It was the TiVo that was out of sync.

To be fair, I'll probably keep using the TV>DAC, as I've got a Mac Mini connected too. Suppose it makes sense, as long as the sound quality isn't compromised.

advertisement

Back