1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Island Discs

Discussion in 'audio' started by Crash!, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Crash!

Crash! pfm Member

So you've been to see Kirsty Young and you've talked her through both of your defining moments and you'll shortly be off to your desert island.

Somehow, you managed to get away with stipulating that your luxury item was your better half; which was a stroke of genius, although on balance you're starting to doubt whether choosing Wagner's Ring Cycle on an MP3 player really was that bright... Not only that, with two of you there, it would be rather nice to sit on the beach and listen to music out of speakers - you never know, in 24 hours of music, there might be a few bars strung together in a way that the Misses likes...

You talk it over with the producers. Given the unusual circumstances, they let you spend £100 of your own money on some rechargeable travel speakers as long as you can fit them in your cabin bag. What speakers do you choose?

2. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I assume there is a generator on this desert island and a source of fuel to run it.

3. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

Surely in the end, it has to be some kind of wind-up gramophone, which was what they probably had in mind when the programme was first aired.

4. alechodgson

alechodgson New Member

Slightly off topic, but I was delighted to find that every Desert Island Disc episode since about 1991 is available on iTunes podcasts (and I'm sure elsewhere as well) albeit with the music lengths reduced (quite often a good thing in my opinion!).

Can I scour ebay for a second hand Marantz amp, cd player and a pair of cheap Missions (possible for under £100) and ignore the delivery requirement please, or am I taking this too literally?

5. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

To me Desert Island discs is very twee and Radio 4 at its worst.

I dont like the format and in these days when we have thousands of tracks on an i pod the whole notion of choosing ten of them becomes even more ridiculous.

Its interesting when they have Gods like Morrissey on but the format is twee,dated and should be shelved.

I dont know..... solar powered speakers? Is there a giant hotel up the beach like on Langkawi Island?

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think the game is that it has to fit in the cabin bag so a pile of secondhand gear from the 80s and 90s is out of bounds here. I think we can suspend disbelief re charging, let's assume a solar battery charger keeps the thing alive under the tropical sun. Which docking thing? God knows though.

7. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Eight, dear boy, eight.

8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

"and an infinite supply of gramophone needles"

9. Crash!

Crash! pfm Member

I was really after some advice on travel speakers.

I'm off to Cuba in a few weeks and staying on a virtually deserted island for some of that. There should be 110v ac for at least some of the time, but I was after something that could be taken down to the beach with a long drink to emit some Einaudi generated from my (non i)phone.

Has anyone played with the iHome or Mini-x usb rechargeable speakers?

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

11. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

My irony-o-meter seems to be malfunctioning.