advertisement

Denon 103r - Any first hand experience?

Mike42

Heard it all before...
I keep reading about people with mega hifi's (mostly in Japan) with TTs costing as much as a house and giant Tannoy speakers who swear by the budget Denon MC. Has anyone here used the Denon and can explain whats so special?

I had one and enjoyed it a lot. Like a more refined version of the normal 103 and definitely an improvement over a 103 in my system at the time (Nottingham Analogue/Naim/Harbeth).

Yes I have first hand experience. It's a great cart when you can give it what it wants, a lossy heavy tonearm, it's treble and detail retrieval is never going to the best as it's a spherical/conical stylus, but it can sound fabulously addictive and dynamic to the point where you don't really care..... it's not as straight forward to get the best out of as more mainstream models are.

Smoother and more refined than 103, heavy headshell or lump of Bluetack essential. I consider it a baby Decca, upbeat and punchy it loses out in detail.

If this was boutique manufacturers it'd be £1k and the conical tip would be considered novelty :D

Really solid imaging. Bit edgy at the top end on my too-light arm (Nima), and yes, not the most detailed. I think the suspension collapsed on mine otherwise I'd probably still be using it, although I prefer the AT33ev that replaced it: almost as solid and full-sounding, but more detailed.

I'm a big fan , currently using one in a Midas aluminum body . It gives a big bold sound with lots of texture , it has got enough detail to keep me happy but it can be easily beaten in this dept .

The biggest negative is that they need to be partnered with sympathetic ancillaries to get the best out of them , they are also quite fussy about loading .

Even if it sounds better than cartridges many times it’s price?

It doesn't. It is guaranteed to sound crap if it has a spherical stylus. End of. I don't care how good the bass and mid is and if it has "PRaT", any cart with a spherical stylus will have really poor treble and I want a good sound from lowest bass to highest treble. I wouldn't want an Ortofon SPU for the same reasons. Even if it was free!

Not all SPUs have a spherical stylus. The higher-end models have nude elliptical.

I found it a superb cartridge, really gutsy full-bodied sound. Now use a Benz Glider which is sweeter and more detailed but might try one again one day.... When I had mine in mid 2000s they cost about £170. A stunning bargain.

Not all SPUs have a spherical stylus. The higher-end models have nude elliptical.

Yes I know. I believe there is a version of the 103 with a proper stylus as well (pretty sure there was at one time anyway). Either would be great with a real stylus I'm sure.

I believe the 103d had a more "normal" elliptical stylus but they are long gone. Don´t Expert do a paratrace tipped one ?

It doesn't. It is guaranteed to sound crap if it has a spherical stylus. End of. I don't care how good the bass and mid is and if it has "PRaT", any cart with a spherical stylus will have really poor treble and I want a good sound from lowest bass to highest treble. I wouldn't want an Ortofon SPU for the same reasons. Even if it was free!

and all SET's are shit.

it's ok to be wrong!

I believe the 103d had a more "normal" elliptical stylus but they are long gone. Don´t Expert do a paratrace tipped one ?
i think they offer a variety of profiles in the 103 body and mechanics. I hear the original suffers from end of side distortion.

I've tried the paratrace tip and different cantilevers and whilst they do improve certain areas they rob they 103 of its charm .

I find it strange that the Denon takes so much flak , no other manufacturers £150-£250 cart ( 103 and 103r price points ) are treated to such vitriol , yet for some reason people talk about the 103 as though it costs £1000 .

Take the Denon for what it is a nice sounding cart that's good value for money . For what it costs everyone can try one and make up there own mind .

Take the Denon for what it is a nice sounding cart that's good value for money . For what it costs everyone can try one and make up there own mind .

Agreed. I’ve never tried an R but I’ve had a few standard 103s over the years and they are a great cart with some limitations. If ones musical diet is mainly jazz it could be all the cartridge needed, it is phenomenally good on the short playing sides of Blue Notes, Prestige, Riverside etc. If however you are an opera fan or want to play rock or pop compilations with long playing times forget it as it just can’t trace the end of side well enough.

The 103s status as a classic is very well deserved. As with most of the true greats in audio it has a character, and that character really suits the vinyl of its era. I came to the conclusion that I couldn’t live with it as my only cartridge, but there is nothing that does what it gets right for even several multiples of its price. It may well be *the* jazz cartridge.

Works great in a pre-Improved 3009 or 3012 too:

6471695141_670fdb9ae5_b.jpg

Just mass-load the headshell a bit (there is a 4.5g SME spacer hidden in the shell above). To my ears it actually works a lot better in this kind of arm than it does in a Ittok, Zeta or whatever, it seems to like a fairly lossy platform.

I've tried the paratrace tip and different cantilevers and whilst they do improve certain areas they rob they 103 of its charm .

I find it strange that the Denon takes so much flak , no other manufacturers £150-£250 cart ( 103 and 103r price points ) are treated to such vitriol , yet for some reason people talk about the 103 as though it costs £1000 .

You make some good point here, the 103 is a good introduction to the world of moving coil cartridges. Its easy to live with and made my previously run Goldring 1042 sound a bit dull at best. If you have never tried an MC cartridge I strongly urge you to try one. I still have a low mileage one as a reserve in case I have an 'accident' with my current MC.

I don't mind spending money on audio gear, but spending more money than a Denon 103 (on a fragile, disposable item) seems extremely expensive to me.

advertisement

Back