advertisement

Delicate problem - dump the SB Touch for smth else?

Zombie

pfm Member
My ReadyNAS Ultra got the dreaded V+ voltage error and is behaving erratically. Bought a QNAP TS-251+ to replace it, but just discovered that QNAP stopped supporting LMS...
Looked at some solutions and both are 10 pages of hacking instructions and frankly, I can't be bothered - I think.
Do you have any good streamer suggestions at a reasonable price, no DAC needed as I use ny Quad CDP for that...
Needs to have streaming of Tidal, Spotify, Bandcamp and web radio, of course
Supporting apps for Windows and Android is a must.
Black and small footprint might be an advantage, no on-box screen necessary
And Ethernet connection, optical out too

I would run LMS on a Raspberry Pi and point it at your QNAP. With PiCorePlayer it is dead easy. (I admit I haven't used a NAS with mine yet, just an attached HDD, but I'm sure others will be along to confirm that it is just as simple.) Sorted for £40, and you could use the Pi as a second player too if you added a piggyback Digi or DAC board (c.£40.)

I would run LMS on a Raspberry Pi and point it at your QNAP. With PiCorePlayer it is dead easy. (I admit I haven't used a NAS with mine yet, just an attached HDD, but I'm sure others will be along to confirm that it is just as simple.) Sorted for £40, and you get another player too!
I've just migrated LMS from my QNAP NAS to a pi3, referencing the flac library on my QNAP, twice the performance, piCorePlayer 3.20/7.9 LMS, and extended life for my QNAP...£45, including a USB flash drive for the cache, which makes it immune to power outages...

You can still get LMS on that thing. You'll need to scan the snap forums and follow some steps that might seem a bit tricky (but aren't that hard really) and all is well again. Saves money and more boxes/cables but you'll need a spare hour or two. Latest LMS packages are super fast too.

Bluesound Node 2.

£500 instead of £40, and locked in to a closed software environment. 1 GHz ARM Cortex processor (vs. 1.2 GHz in Raspberry Pi 3), not that it really matters when playing music.

£500 instead of £40, and locked in to a closed software environment. 1 GHz ARM Cortex processor (vs. 1.2 GHz in Raspberry Pi 3), not that it really matters when playing music.
It also worth pointing out that if you get a pi with picore player you can still still use your SBT as well as squeezelite on the pi- you now have multiroom audio.

Does any other streamer (as opposed to a straightforward pc/mac) have BBC iplayer and/or Youtube replay?
I would hate to have to live without these, although I spose you can probably manage with airplay.

I've ordered a Bluesound node 2 to replace mine. Same NAS as you! With a lot of help I did get LMS running for a while and then it collapsed again. It seems to boil down to if you can be bothered with LMS and the pi route with the cost benefit etc or just something that should sit and do its job without any diy.

I wanted the plug and play so have paid a bit more to achieve it

Open source route every time...:)

The additional 'grunt' and memory of the pi3 certainly comes in handy for re-indexing purposes, previously with LMS on my QNAP NAS (1.2 single single core/500MB RAM), I'd have to pause my players (5 in all) when re-indexing, as playback would begin to stutter and stall for the duration.

Now using the pi3 for LMS duties I can re-index at anytime without impact to playback, and the whole process is twice as quick, about 30mins for a complete rebuild of 3K flac cds, still stored on my old QNAP

Open source route every time...:)

The additional 'grunt' and memory of the pi3 certainly comes in handy for re-indexing purposes, previously with LMS on my QNAP NAS (1.2 single single core/500MB RAM), I'd have to pause my players (5 in all) when re-indexing, as playback would begin to stutter and stall for the duration.

Now using the pi3 for LMS duties I can re-index at anytime without impact to playback, and the whole process is twice as quick, about 30mins for a complete rebuild of 3K flac cds, still stored on my old QNAP

Why would you ever need to re-index? This is one of the areas where LMS really shows its age. Nowadays you should be able to add a cd to your library and have it available to play immediately. And a library should never need re-indexing. It should work.

Why would you ever need to re-index? This is one of the areas where LMS really shows its age. Nowadays you should be able to add a cd to your library and have it available to play immediately. And a library should never need re-indexing. It should work.

LMS doesn't need to re-index. At least, it didn't when I was using it a couple of years back.

The point was to demonstrate the relative performance of a pi3 over an ageing NAS for running a standard LMS task...if I wanted to I could set up a reindex chron job but oddly enough after ripping and copying a couple of CDs I still manage to find the energy to click the rescan button...tough as it may seem ;)

It's a matter of efficiency...

The point was to demonstrate the relative performance of a pi3 over an ageing NAS for running a standard LMS task...if I wanted to I could set up a reindex chron job but oddly enough after ripping and copying a couple of CDs I still manage to find the energy to click the rescan button...tough as it may seem ;)

It's a matter of efficiency...

But why? Surely you should just be able to rip a cd and have it discovered immediately without any task being set up (which wouldn't be immediate) or clicking a rescan button which isn't immediate either. LMS has done good, but it is definitely showing its age.

My ReadyNAS Ultra got the dreaded V+ voltage error and is behaving erratically. Bought a QNAP TS-251+ to replace it, but just discovered that QNAP stopped supporting LMS...
Looked at some solutions and both are 10 pages of hacking instructions and frankly, I can't be bothered - I think.
Do you have any good streamer suggestions at a reasonable price, no DAC needed as I use ny Quad CDP for that...
Needs to have streaming of Tidal, Spotify, Bandcamp and web radio, of course
Supporting apps for Windows and Android is a must.
Black and small footprint might be an advantage, no on-box screen necessary
And Ethernet connection, optical out too

If you don't need gapless playback, why don't you just get a chromecast audio and install the castbridge app on LMS?

So do you have a better suggestion for a media server which will allow me to create playlists containing my own music and music from Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal etc. And which has good searching by artist, album and other tags? When I last looked a year ago I couldn't find one, though I haven't tried JRiver because as far as I can see it won't work with the squeezebox.

Newer versions of LMS (7.9) re-index very quickly and don't interrupt playback anymore in the process. Mine takes about 2 minutes for a largish library. This may of course be system dependent - my LMS sits on an SSD in a server running Windows Home Server. The music files sit on hard drives in the same server.
If you must play the album the moment after you have ripped it, it is available via the music folder view, as this is just reading what is on your store. Once accessed that way it also becomes available in the other views, so effectively indexed.

If you don't need gapless playback, why don't you just get a chromecast audio and install the castbridge app on LMS?

He already has a player, there's a clue in the thread title...'SB Touch';)

All he needs is a new server for LMS, hence the Pi3 suggestion...

advertisement

Back