advertisement

Dekoni replacement pads?

I’ve had good luck with Geekria pads (Amazon), which I see they also make for the HD800. Cheaper than Dekoni, so might be worth a punt.

I have some on my DT-1770 and prefer them to both pairs of stock pads that ship with the Beyers. I went for the sheepskin model.

I have used the Dekoni pad with great success on my AKG 501’s they appear to be very good quality, well packaged and a reliable company with many dealers worldwide, they are also very comfortable However they will change the sound and presentation of the headphone.

In my case I swapped out the standard AKG 501 earpad (by now very flat and tired) with the “Elite Velour” pad This increased the low-end bass response and improved the sense of scale and weight to the sound. It also took the edge of the rather forward upper midrange edginess that could sometimes unbalance the 501’s otherwise neutral and detailed presentation. In my case it was a positive improvement.

If you want to keep the sound of your headphone as is then I would use the Sennheiser pads while ever they are available. While Dekoni pads are a comparable price to the originals and are also equal in quality they will change the sound. On the other hand, If you want to do some pad rolling and experimenting, the Dekoni range offer an easy and convenient method of tuning the sound.

LPSpinner

I have used the Dekoni pad with great success on my AKG 501’s they appear to be very good quality, well packaged and a reliable company with many dealers worldwide, they are also very comfortable However they will change the sound and presentation of the headphone.

In my case I swapped out the standard AKG 501 earpad (by now very flat and tired) with the “Elite Velour” pad This increased the low-end bass response and improved the sense of scale and weight to the sound. It also took the edge of the rather forward upper midrange edginess that could sometimes unbalance the 501’s otherwise neutral and detailed presentation. In my case it was a positive improvement.

If you want to keep the sound of your headphone as is then I would use the Sennheiser pads while ever they are available. While Dekoni pads are a comparable price to the originals and are also equal in quality they will change the sound. On the other hand, If you want to do some pad rolling and experimenting, the Dekoni range offer an easy and convenient method of tuning the sound.

LPSpinner

i get what you are saying about a change in sound signature.
all bar 1 option available for my HD800 are much thicker than the Senn originals.
these i would guess will likely reduce the bass response considerably as the driver will be much further from my ear.
i certainly do not want a leaner sound, if anything i would prefer to warm the sound of the 800's up a tad.
i do not listen to headphones as much as i used to as i prefer the "fuller" sound from my speakers.
it may be time to swap the HD800 in for something that gets closer to the tone of my speakers.
thanks for the replies folks

i get what you are saying about a change in sound signature.
all bar 1 option available for my HD800 are much thicker than the Senn originals.
these i would guess will likely reduce the bass response considerably as the driver will be much further from my ear....

It’s a bit more complicated than just the distance of the driver from the ear. In my case pad differences were in the same direction. The 501’s original pad, even when new was thinner than any of the Dekoni pads but the improvement in bass response was evident. It’s more about the volume of air within the headphone cup when sealed against the side of the head and also the “permeability” of the ear pad material and foam within the earpad structure.

Have a look at the Dekoni web site. Dekoni have published response figures for various popular headphones where they compare the various Dekoni pad options against the original manufacturers pad. It’s interesting to compare the Elite Velour against the protein leather, the sheepskin, the fenestrated sheepskin, and the hybrid pads.

It’s surprising how much you can tune a headphones sound just by changing the ear pad.

LPSpinner.

It’s a bit more complicated than just the distance of the driver from the ear. In my case pad differences were in the same direction. The 501’s original pad, even when new was thinner than any of the Dekoni pads but the improvement in bass response was evident. It’s more about the volume of air within the headphone cup when sealed against the side of the head and also the “permeability” of the ear pad material and foam within the earpad structure.

Have a look at the Dekoni web site. Dekoni have published response figures for various popular headphones where they compare the various Dekoni pad options against the original manufacturers pad. It’s interesting to compare the Elite Velour against the protein leather, the sheepskin, the fenestrated sheepskin, and the hybrid pads.

It’s surprising how much you can tune a headphones sound just by changing the ear pad.

LPSpinner.
I will take a look at that , cheers for the advice

LPSpinner.

Absolutely - the Dekoni transformed the Fostex (in a very good way) particularly in the bass/lower mids which gained a presence that was missing with the stock ones.

So much so that I fully intend getting a pair for my Senn HD600 at some point

Having just sold my hd800 and returned to my trusty hd650 I think I will try a pair of the hybrid pads on these.

Having just sold my hd800 and returned to my trusty hd650 I think I will try a pair of the hybrid pads on these.

Wow... HD800 back to HD650 ... Thats a brave move. The HD6XX family seem to get it right in so many ways, it's hard not to go past them.
Have a look at this video.

The video compares the dekoni pads to the stock pads on a HD600. since the the HD650 is a HD600 with slightly different tuning the comparison is worth looking at.
LPSpinner

interesting video.
the 2 pad options i was leaning towards are both favourites of these guys.
think i will order a set of hybrids.

my step back to HD650 is only likely a temporary one.
trialling the Meze 109pro later this week (2nd time) and Quad ERA-1.

thanks for posting the video, it helped me choose pads.

I ordered a set of Dekoni ear pads and headband for Sennheiser HD660s, very impressed with the fit and finish and a nicely presented product. I went with the Hybrid pads and didn’t regret it-very comfortable.

these i would guess will likely reduce the bass response considerably as the driver will be much further from my ear.
It’s a bit more complicated than just the distance of the driver from the ear. In my case pad differences were in the same direction. The 501’s original pad, even when new was thinner than any of the Dekoni pads but the improvement in bass response was evident
Interested in this as I've been mulling cheap 'n' cheerful eBay pad (etc.) because my 650 ones now look worse than my sofa cushions ! Surely, the sound, or at least the presentation, degrades as one's ear becomes closer to the transducer. My guess, without foundation, I may add, is that new pads, putting one's ears further away, should be an improvement in both bass and clarity.

Not sure, LPSpinner, if it was the thinner originals or the newer pads which improved bass; your sentence above is a bit ambiguous (to me, anyway)
it may be time to swap the HD800 in for something that gets closer to the tone of my speakers.
To me, it's nigh on impossible to equate spkr sound with that from cans, but with the 800s known for teetering on the edge, as it were, you may find Focals just the ticket; certainly warmer and fuller in presentation; just as comfy as any Senn., too.

Both of my headphones Focal clear and Meze empyreans have Dekoni leather perforated.
They help me with long listening itchy ear problems.

The most beautifully comfortable earpads I’ve experienced are the protein leather ones on Fostex TH600/900s but they perish! Even with little use. The ones on my 600s, bought s/h and well used, were fine but the 900s went within a couple of years even with light use. I replaced them with sheepskin Deconis and they are very nicely made and comfortable.

I’m reluctant to change the thin velour pads on my HD800s given comments about affecting the SQ which I personally feel is spot on and also the fact that the HD800s are very already light and comfortable.

advertisement

Back