advertisement

Definitive Albums

Wish You Were Here, too....what a great cover too, used to look at it for hours...I wonder if it meant anything.

Is that the cover with the hand-shake burning guy? If so, it`s from a sci-fi movie in the 70`s I think where one alien race was Vs another on Earth and to kill the other placed a small circular`thing` in their hand and shook... the other geezer promptly went up flame-o... bad suit an` all.

These two have been in my heart since I was 14 and I have never grown weary of their company. They have always spoken to me, have remained relevant and retain their power. They are part of who I was and who I am.

I would also have to include WYWH

Graceland by Paul Simon

Dunno whether I should declare this as a guilty-pleasure/uncool or a definitive album - but yes.

The little subtleties like Linda Ronstadt & EmmyLou Harris' backing vocals make it something special - for me. (The original vinyl pressing plays superbly too btw)

We've had the Jazz definitive list, well I'm going into a tiny niche area of music: definitive religious! Actually I prefer "Definitive Jesus music." Here is a list of albums most of you have never heard of, but they are still wonderful:

Larry Norman: Only Visiting This Planet (1972)- the one that informed every other release
Adrian Snell: Goodbye October (1976); the one that started me on a journey
Cliff Richard: Small Corners (1978) Quaint, yes, but still worth a listen
Bryn Haworth: Mountain Mover (1986)- just.... special
Burlap to Cashmere: Anybody out there? (1998) Little known in UK, but absolutely extraordinary technically and musically
YFriday: Revolution (2003) Classic rock
FFH: Ready to fly (2003) My favourite of all- communicates direct to the heart
Delirious? The Mission Bell (2005)- Martin Smith has been the most creative writer in this genre for nearly 2 decades
Thebandwithnoname: Dying to be there (2007)- ChipK and co with sensational hip hop music; I wonder how much Zarc Porter/Mark Pennells could have made if they'd penned these tunes for the main stream?

Wishbone Ash - Argus
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next

I am aware much of my taste is stuck in the first half of the 1970s!

I do have a much more eclectic collection but, to me, these are definitive.

One World - John Martyn
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell
Foxtrot - Genesis
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
In The Land Of Grey & Pink - Caravan
Everyone Is Everybody Else - Barclay James Harvest

Wow! Someone else out there that loves " In The land of Grey and Pink". Fantastic album. As for Genesis I'd go for "Selling England by The Pound" and for Tull, "Thick as a Brick." All these get regular spins on th LP12!

Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight

Wow! Someone else out there that loves " In The land of Grey and Pink". Fantastic album. As for Genesis I'd go for "Selling England by The Pound" and for Tull, "Thick as a Brick." All these get regular spins on th LP12!
But for 'The Battle of Epping Forest' I would have also chosen 'Selling England'

For me it’s MC5 – Kick out the Jams and Quicksilver Messenger Service – Happy Trails. Two very different styles but both formed the basis of what I got into since.

These were the days when friends would all meet up in one guys house all with an LP or two under the arm. As most of my mates at the time were into soul or reggae there were a few groans if I turned up with either of these!

Off the top of my head -

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions...
Pink Floyd - Meddle
King Crimson - In the Court..
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
The Smiths - Meat is Murder

If I was fully awake my list might be slightly different.

Oh, and Graceland has well passed the 'guilty pleasure' phase, much the same as Love Over Gold; both could definitely be put on the definitive list.

A definitive moment for a 16 yo in ‘73. Late at night watching BBC “In Concert”. The usual fare is rock, but what’s this band, Mahavisnhnu Orchestra? Wow that guitarist can play a bit and does that drummer have 6 arms? Head blown and musical tastes evolve dramatically.

Yes I was watching that too. Certainly opened young ears up.

This compilation was definitive and although the term Techno went on to encompass lots of music that made your ears hurt these few artists from Detroit were the originators.
Various ‎– Techno! The New Dance Sound Of Detroit

Label:
10 Records ‎– DIXG 75
Series:
Techno (3)
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation
UK
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Techno, House

[paste:font size="4"]Tracklist Rythim Is Rythim* It Is What It Is Edits By – Juan*Written-By, Producer, Mixed By – Mayday 5:36
A2 –Blake Baxter Forever And A DayMixed By – Master Reese*Producer – Blake BaxterWritten-By – Baxter* 5:36
A3 –Eddie "Flashin'" Fowkes* Time To ExpressMixed By – Magic Juan*Producer, Mixed By – Eddie "Flashin'" Fowkes*Written-By – Fowkes* 5:41
A4 –K.S. Experience Electronic DanceMixed By – Master Reese*Producer – Kevin SaundersonWritten-By – Saunderson* 6:36
B1 –Members Of The House Share This House (Radio Mix)Engineer – Rufus HarrisMixed By, Edited By – The Cutting Board Inc.Producer – Don Davis (2)Written-By – Banus*, Merriweather*, Harris*, Weatherspoon* 5:56
B2 –A Tongue & D Groove Feel SurrealEdited By [Edits] – StoneyMixed By – MaydayProducer – A Tongue, D GrooveWritten-By – Tongue*, Groove* 6:55
B3 –Mia Hesterley SparkMixed By – Master Reese*Producer – Kevin SaundersonWritten-By – Baxter*, Saunderson* 6:09
B4 –Juan* Techno MusicMixed By – Magic Juan*Producer – Juan AtkinsWritten-By – Atkins* 7:20
C1 –Inner-City* Featuring Kevin Saunderson Big FunMixed By – Magic Juan*Producer, Featuring – Kevin SaundersonVocals – Paris*Written-By – Forest*, Pennington*, Saunderson* 7:39
C2 –Blake Baxter Ride Em BoyEdited By [Edits] – Juan*Mixed By – MaydayProducer – Blake BaxterWritten-By – Baxter* 7:02
C3 –Shakir* Sequence 10Mixed By – A Tongue, Shakir*Producer – Anthony ShakirWritten-By – Shakir* 5:20
C4 –Idol Making Un, Deux, TroisMixed By – Master Reese*Producer – MaydayVocals – Blake BaxterWritten-By – Baxter*, Mayday 6:05
D –Various Detroit Is Jacking (The Techno! Megamix)DJ Mix [Megamix] – Magic Juan*, Mayday

a few from very different genres.
On the radio, Greatest hits volume 1 & 11 Donna Summer/ Streisand.
Quicksilver messenger service
C J Fish/ Country Joe and the fish.

My taste is all over the place.

advertisement

Back