advertisement

Definitive Albums

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
Simple proposition.

This can be anything. It can be specific to era, to musical genre, politically definitive or to your own personal circumstances and your musical tastes.

For me, GSH "Pieces of a Man from 1970. Maybe something of an eclectic choice, the album remains definitive to me as it's unique mix of jazz, soul and early (pre) rap was revolutionary at the time and led to so many black musical genres over coming decades.

The fact that almost the entire album remains both politically and socially relevant almost half a century after it's release is another feather in its cap. A remarkably important piece of work IMHO. Definitive in the way that it melded jazz, socially important poetry and soul music into a cohesive album.

PiecesOfaMan_cover.jpg

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks
The Beatles: Revolver
Solti: Wagner’s Ring cycle

Lots but one odd piece of my life (as an artstudenthippydrugstercountryboy) was exactly and perfectly described by The Incredible String Band's 'Wee Tam and the Big Huge'.
If there was a film of my life then, that would be the soundtrack.

Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy

Like having a TARDIS back to my first ever proper gig

Ha! Me too, I was 13 back in 1978, I saw them at Wembley taken with my Dad, not a bad introduction to a rock concert! Brilliant set, brilliant line up and brilliant double album!

sex pistols "never mind the bollocks"

10 years old, blown away,
Ignited a passion for music.

captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Trout mask Replica; the first album I ever bought and never bettered IMHO.

Computer World by Kraftwerk when I was a kid. What a game changer.
Then a totally random choice from the library of Keith Jarret (I'd never heard of him) solo concert.. Vienna I think. I put it on when high and flew away to the stars.

R-1345009-1359356312-4295.jpeg.jpg

The Snow Goose is a ground breaking album in my opinion. It really transports me away into a beautiful different world.

Vangelis_album_cover_image_-_%28Mask%29.jpg

And this is similar, but to a much darker and scaryer world.

Black Uhuru - Black Uhuru
Shine Eye Gal best opening track to a Reggae LP with electric guitar by a certain K.Richards.
And latterly
Kind of Blue - Miles Davies
Opened up a love of Jazz that I didn't even know I had.

Off the top of my head right now...
Metallica Black Album....another "ultimate rock album" to go with the already mentioned AC/DC Back In Black.
Have to throw in Deep Purple In Rock and Made In Japan....one of THE best live albums.
Yes Close To The Edge....iconic prog album of excessive and wizardry musicianship.

Would like to add a Led Zep album but can't choose one.....same for Genesis.
Santana eponymous
ELP Brain Salad Surgery.....
Etc, etc!

advertisement

Back