advertisement

Death and Life of a Nait3

Thanks Mark, as you can gather I'm fishing around here.

Switched one of the R22's already for a wirewound, I'll see if I have any more in stock.

I know it doesn't help but I once fixed one of these 3 times in a row because it'd work for me then fry in use. I never got to the bottom of it. Look for damaged tracks if you can, there may be a faulty pad under thermal expansion.
NAP90's weren't Naim's finest hour TBH.

P.S The Nait2 used exactly the same circuit but it was very compact. As a result everything heated up at a similar rate and they hardly ever ran away. They were never unstable either. On later 90's they moved the amplified diode bias transistor underneath the board to try and get a semblance of thermal feedback with the chassis heat. That mod has even been carried on into the black series amps.

But it is consoling!

This was always going to be a rescue job. The board tracks were shagged. They've been completely rebuilt where the outputs trannies and other emitter driver components have fried themselves in a past life. Naturally that has been quintuple checked but I'll check it all again.

I may abandon this one soon - lief too short and I've better projects to get finished.

I would pop a B&O ice power module in, but the chap on eBay that I got mine from doesn't have any for sale.
Wasn't Les W working on a replacement board?

Pete

advertisement

Back