advertisement

daydream 11...going against the wisdom.

Rockmeister

pfm Member
It stared thus....I want more lively/emotional speakers. In fact I want large JBL's or, Tannoys, or...anything of that ilk.
I can't afford them.
Damn.
Wait tho. If I sell the Harbeths AND the Palmer 2.5 with SME and benz I might make £6000. I can add a bit. I'd be happy with a dynavector 20 so now I have say £6-7000 to buy a 'good enough' deck that has some energy and life, and some (used) big speakers that will work in a smallish space, close to rear walls, 8ft from the listening seat.
Head is shouting 'you've gone MAD', but what do you lot think?

PS, I KNOW that I'll not outdo the Palmer's performance, but since vinyl only comes out 5/6 times a year, I think it's a sacrifice I can make.

PPS as per, this is likely never going to happen, so this thread is for theorists who like a fun dream :)

Well this is going well!
How about
a. Which inexspenive record deck will happily pair with a dynavector 20 and provide a good. lively sound? and
b. Which large speakers will rock a small room?

a) Nice Luxman tt with Jelco arm

b) New pair of Tannoy Cheviot Legacy

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Want stunning and cheap? Build a big heavy Lenco, maybe with a PTP top-pate. Put a half-decent arm on it, for a DV20 a RB300 would be fine. Buy giant Tannoys.

PS That is a very, very nice Luxman for the cash assuming it is fully working!

Tony is right. I was trying to stay in your £7k budget with the Cheviots but better to push the budget a little and go for properly big Tannoys.

Borrow and listen to a WT Amadeus GTA against your deck. I would be genuinely surprised if there is much in it.

Like others I hanker over big Tannoys but if budget is tight a nice pair of Ditton 66 would not be shabby.

'Proper big Tannoys' are bigly more expensive.

It is still possible to find a pair of original Ardens or Lancasters for £1.5-2.5k or so with a little luck. The HPD driver in the former will need attention (foam rot) but it is fully fixable and the price will be lower as a result.

Want stunning and cheap? Build a big heavy Lenco, maybe with a PTP top-pate. Put a half-decent arm on it, for a DV20 a RB300 would be fine.

When I was messing with Lencos about 6 years ago it was possible to buy a tidy donor 75 or 78 for £40. Now even the light platter jobs (55/69 etc) go for 3 figures when a minter could be had for £20 a few years back. I even found a mint L70 on ebay sitting in a radiogram - £30!

All that's in the past and I've long since sold my collection, apart from the PTP.

I’ve still got a tidy refurbished 1963 L70 boxed up in bits, not certain I’ll ever get round to doing anything with it!

Sold both my mint 70s for a ridiculous profit. I'm sure they'd be worth a stack more now, but I was never going to use them and I know there are 2 enthusiasts out there still enjoying them. Things of beauty for sure. I do hope not too many got butchered when they were cheap.

Lencos are still decent value IMO. It still seems possble to get a clean L75 or 78 for less than £200, which seems reasonable when you are looking at over £1k for a tidy 301 or 124.

Yes but that's a £500% hike on just 5 years ago! TBH I think 401s are good value at the moment, given you don't have to mess about with a PTP and new bearing to get them to really perform...

As others say. A 401 works out of the box, a Lenco with work. I bet you can get a fettled Lenco used for less than it costs to build one. Then Tannoys of choice, amps likewise, sit back. Experiment with streaming. Like garlic bread, it's the future.

Do it, there's not much wrong with Rega 3. I picked one up here in Leeds for £150 in bright green, it's a great deck. For sound quality I prefer a Thorens 150 at slightly less money, but that's an old deck these days and the Rega looks a million dollars.

advertisement

Back