advertisement

Dahlquist DQ-10 rebuild

Yeah, I just sold a Quad 405/1 a few weeks ago, typical!!

Looks like a 606/909 140wpc,will fit the bill.

if u are patient u will get one at a non silly price..

A period correct amp is the Ampzilla,i believe the factory used one to test the DQ10s.

Phase linears or flame linears were also used...

As with dq10s,big amps are cheap in the good old U.s,a..

Can be unstable and a pig to repair..

As with dq10s,big amps are cheap in the good old U.s,a..

I've received a Philips midrange unit from a seller in France, which saves posting one from North America. It's in place soldered in, the only issue is the red coloured basket, but beggars can't be choosers.

I eased out the volume a little more this evening, and was impressed with the scale of the music presented. Radio 3 had the finale from Saint-Saëns symphony number 3, and I can't say that I was aware of the descending pedal bass organ scale at the very end until tonight - not floor shaking, but certainly present and clear. They are certainly more treble-y than my Altecs, which roll off around 12KHz, so I'll have to back off the treble controls, which are set at half way.

There's a nice Krell KAV250a for sale locally, but I'm not sure if it might be overkill for this?

Overkill? Pahhh. Throw caution to the wind and do it. :)
I remember one time a pair of omnidirectional Lowther enclosures I'd built, fairly ratty, but impressive with a pair of Quad IIs. I picked up an Audio Synthesis Desire power amp for £150 in a second hand shop, utter bargain, and hooked it up, expecting to be wowed. I remember the voice coil of the right hand Lowther exiting the speaker with the power on thump. That was not a good day.

Probably not! Maybe add a little caution then? In this situation and with the drivers in the DQ's, think it would be a fine situation, unless something is wrong with the amp. Just my thoughts...

The capacitors in the crossovers were checking out more or less within spec, but I thought it wise to replace the blue 80uF electrolytic. For the same price as a new NP electrolytic I got a Chinese film cap 82uF 100v (Bevenbi Axial MKP) which certainly looks more impressive, and initial impressions suggest a big improvement in the upper bass and midrange, so not bad for a £18.

advertisement

Back