advertisement

Cutting edge actives destroy passive rivals in head to head showdown

What a crock of purshite.

Quite!

There is also no mention of prices of the speakers being compared. Are the prices similar? i.e. around £10K a pair?

For the price of the Kii's, my money would be on a pair of Avantgarde Zero TA's. Speakers with some decent efficiency.

In fairness it would have to be a speaker/amp/speaker stand solution as with the controller the Kiis are a complete system bar a source, albeit one now costing nearer to £15k. I'd be very interested to know if they could do the ease and scale thing of say a new pair of Tannoy Ardens and a decent £6-7k tube amp, which I suspect would be my way of spending that cash if I had to buy new. How much are a pair of Devore Orangutans? They look like they may be my kind of thing too!

Quite!

There is also no mention of prices of the speakers being compared. Are the prices similar? i.e. around £10K a pair?

For the price of the Kii's, my money would be on a pair of Avantgarde Zero TA's. Speakers with some decent efficiency.

I had the Avantgarde Zeros's here they appeared so promising...
Keith

I had the Avantgarde Zeros's here they appeared so promising...
Keith

You need the right equipment to partner them Keith which you don't have. High efficiency speakers have a different set of requirements to drive them over conventional speakers in order to get the very best performance.

How much are a pair of Devore Orangutans? They look like they may be my kind of thing too!

I normally price to match DeVore's prices in the EU, which are:

DeVore 0/93s - €9500 (standard finish - fiddleback mahogany) - Approximately £8300 based on todays exchange rate.
DeVore 0/96s - €13350 (standard finish - lace walnut) - Approximately £11,800 based on todays exchange rate.

Both are very easy to drive with a 10 ohms impedance (8.75ohms minimum), so anything from 4 watts and above will be fine.

You need the right equipment to partner them Keith which you don't have. High efficiency speakers have a different set of requirements to drive them over conventional speakers in order to get the very best performance.

They were active Graham no driving necessary.
Keith

They were active Graham no driving necessary.
Keith

Different speaker to the one I mentioned Keith. The fully active speaker (Zero-1) isn't selling which is why they made the TA version. The one I referred too above requires an amplifier to power it... :rolleyes:

I normally price to match DeVore's prices in the EU, which are:

DeVore 0/93s - €9500 (standard finish - fiddleback mahogany) - Approximately £8300 based on todays exchange rate.
DeVore 0/96s - €13350 (standard finish - lace walnut) - Approximately £11,800 based on todays exchange rate.

Both are very easy to drive with a 10 ohms impedance (8.75ohms minimum), so anything from 4 watts and above will be fine.

That's interesting, so you could easily get the bigger ones in with a nice little Prima Luna, Audio Note or similar affordable tube integrated for the price of the Kiis on stands with controller. Without checking prices I'd have thought it was possible to get a new pair of Quad ESLs and one of the better Quad pre/power combos in for the same money too, so wth my earlier Tannoy Ardens and £5k amp suggestion as well they are up against some pretty serious competition. These are certainly the sort of comparisons I'd like to hear.

Yes, because Keith obviously has no history with high efficiency speakers...

Another two demonstrations this weekend, KiiTHREEs this time, the victims NEat and Sonus Faber , once you directly compare the Kii's/Dutch&Dutch against your own system in your own room their superiority is obvious.
Telephone or email if you would like ti hear either of these superb loudspeakers in your own room.
Keith

Every system we have taken the Kii’s to so far, Magico/Devialet, Shahinian/Naim, Harbeth/Naim, Neat and valve amp, passive ATC and can’t remember, active ATCs and linn streamer, etc etc etc.
The controlled directivity and cardioid response works, it sounds glib but having the sound only coming out of the front creates a crisper sound with greater resolution , add to that total phase coherence, virtual point source, motion feedback bass, ability to be placed anywhere in the room they are superb loudspeakers.
Keith

Magico and Devialet? Crazy system. Magico needs warm electronic, even valve in the path. But... brand of the speaker/amp is also not enough. You need to compare whole system, from the socket to speaker, plus size of the room for speakers.

What is warm electronic, the Devialet is an extremely low distortion solid state amp.
You might prefer the Magicos with a hugely distorting SET but that would only be a subjective judgement.
Keith

What is warm electronic, the Devialet is an extremely low distortion solid state amp.
You might prefer the Magicos with a hugely distorting SET but that would only be a subjective judgement.
Keith

Yep, low distortion, not much more. Never heard system which sounded good with Devialet...
Not SET, Lampizator DAC would be enough, good source, plus two powerful monoblocks in class A. Only than you will now how good Magico are.
Warm for me is class A and valves - dense, lively midrange, sweet treble, spacious presentation.
Cool for me is class D, low distortion, transparent, flat presentation, not much life in it.

You just like distortion nothing wrong with that, not Hi Fidelity of course but if you feel it makes a pleasant sound.
Keith

Kenny you can wrap it up how you like,’ tonal density ‘etc but it is just distortion pleasant distortion but distortion nevertheless .
Keith

advertisement

Back