advertisement

Custom In-ears

Jack Barriere

Me, you and them
Wondering if any PFM'ers have done the custom in-ear headphones? I got some Ultimate Ears' SuperFi4's for Xmas and like what I hear. UE has a $400 unit starting price for these custom fits all the way up to $1500. This price does not include the audiologists ear impression cost. I would love to know the music lovers opinion of anyone out there that owns this form of in-ear speaker. All I get is information from musicians that use them on stage.

I have UE-11, very nice. Were I to get another pair it would be the UE-10 and go through handheld audio instead of dealing direct.. Had mine for years with daily us they are still going strong, one of the best audio items I have bought.

UE1.jpg

UE2.jpg

They are very comfortable after a few days. Looking at the new site I notice they have changed the cable termination so it is no longer recessed, that means the only thing connecting the earpiece to the cable are two 0.5x3mm pins, knowing the hammer this connection gets that would stop me buying them. I'd look at ACS t2 or t1 http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=288 uk company can be ordered from start to finish through boots.

JH was formed by one of the guys from Ultimate Ears after Logitec took over and started cutting costs. They are, by all accounts, very good (better than the current logitec owned UE) but I have never heard them so can't say for sure.

JH was formed by one of the guys from Ultimate Ears after Logitec took over and started cutting costs. They are, by all accounts, very good (better than the current logitec owned UE) but I have never heard them so can't say for sure.

A real hard one to hear before you buy piece of HI-FI. Its like rolling dice in Vegas. The UE 4s I have did improve but still not in the Senn 300 ear bud league as of yet. They only have 16 hours on them. A great place to start to see if they are for me.

I'm sure Fox of this parish did the custom-made 'phone thing..

Jack, I would recommend using the Comply T-500 soft foam tips with your UE's - they transformed my Triple-Fi's, plus the original ones felt like I was trying to put my elbow in my ear. Come in 3 sizes - I find the small ones ideal.

Can't believe they're not sounding better than Senn CX300's - I had a pair of them as a stop-gap after an Etymotic/muddy puddle incident, and thought they sounded cack.

I'm sure Fox of this parish did the custom-made 'phone thing..

Jack, I would recommend using the Comply T-500 soft foam tips with your UE's - they transformed my Triple-Fi's, plus the original ones felt like I was trying to put my elbow in my ear. Come in 3 sizes - I find the small ones ideal.

Can't believe they're not sounding better than Senn CX300's - I had a pair of them as a stop-gap after an Etymotic/muddy puddle incident, and thought they sounded cack.

The foam is amazing. First time I ever did the foam thing was 2 hours ago. And yes UEs are so mush better then the 300s now. Way more detail and the bass response is not fat, one note sounding like the 300. The 300s with the foam are not bad, just not as detailed. I,m in for some fun on my hikes. They only have 24 hours on them from the box. Will keep them running in for a good 400 hours. What a great gift from the kids.

For $10 this must make the standard I-pod ear pads that come with all the Apple stuff sound very dissent. As for in ear users, foam tips are AMAZING. For anybody out there that use ear buds, a MUST have. The seal and comfort level is a big WOW. This foam tips stay put and conform to to irregular ear canals which we all have like our finger prints. The sound is to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPufYdm2Gs

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/268/1006327.jpg

Check with Fox he had some made from a US company, think he had the ear moulds made at ear clinic in the UK then sent them off to be made into ear buds.

If your a tight wad like my self with dexterity can be made for 50 cents with ear protection foam inserts. They come 2 in a pack which will make 4 foam tips. A utility blade and something to poke a hole in the middle. With a Dremel tapering the ends would be a piece of cake. Will get back on this cheap skate D.I.Y.

I've got UE 11's and they are comforatable, the casting uses the length of fit rather than pressure to ensure isolation. What I mean is there is a lot of custom moulded plastic touching your ear rather than a smaller amount of rubbery stuff squishing outwards against your ear.

Soundwise they blitz my Sen 650's and Grado 325s. Highly recommended. The only issue is their efficiency, I had to build attenuators for some of my kit to give a useable volume control range.

I've got UE 11's and they are comforatable, the casting uses the length of fit rather than pressure to ensure isolation. What I mean is there is a lot of custom moulded plastic touching your ear rather than a smaller amount of rubbery stuff squishing outwards against your ear.

Soundwise they blitz my Sen 650's and Grado 325s. Highly recommended. The only issue is their efficiency, I had to build attenuators for some of my kit to give a useable volume control range.

11s go for $1150 without ear impressions made. Better than 650s WOW. For that money 650s and a killer head amp can be had. If i had money like that to drop on head speakers I would go for HD-800s in a heart beat. My 600s kill all ear buds I ever heard for sound in my head. You just look like dick head with them on out and about. I was looking more in the $500 max custom. Thanks for you reply.

advertisement

Back