advertisement

CR2 files from a 5D IV and Windoze 10 Explorer

suzywong

Wot, no electrons?
My raw files won’t show up as thumbnails in Explorer, only as icons.

OK in DPP; OK in Photoshop. And CR2 from my 7D, show as thumbnails in Explorer with no problem.

Done all the usual things (“Show thumbnails rather than icons”), downloaded the latest codec from MS, etc

Crawled over the MS “(un)support forums”. Seems to be an issue.

Thoughts, anyone? Anyone got it to work in Windoze Explorer?

So with MS (un)support forums being about as much use as a chocolate teapot, I ended up trawling through DPReview (and, yes, I should have gone there first), where it appeared to be a “known problem” and their solution was to blow the princely sum of 8 quid on the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack

It works a treat, and even shows .psd files as thumbnails.

Last edited:
Yes. But as was suggested elsewhere, this is probably all that you need.

Raw Image Extension - Microsoft Store Apps

And as reported elsewhere, I tried it - didn’t work. And that suggestion was the first line of defence given by the experts on the MS Forum, who, judging by their statements such as “… should work….”, appeared to have not tried it themselves. The folks on DPReview said pretty much the same.

When I asked the question here nobody responded with a “yes, I’ve got it working on my PC”.

Last edited:
i dont get it. CR2 files from my 5D mk3 are viewable native in ex[plorer on this Win10 machine. I am editing some as I speak.

I dont recall having installed anything extra, but i could have done in the dim and distant past

Quite. CR2 files from both my 450D and 7D have always been fine in Explorer. Therefore I was somewhat surprised when CR2s from my new 5D IV would only show as icons. Indeed several comments on DPReview were along the lines of “ raws from my old 5D3 show up in explorer, but not raws from my new 5D4.”

It would be useful if someone here with a 5D4 & Windows 10 could comment.

For me the problem has been solved by FPViewer codec pack, but it would be nice to understand what was happening.

When I asked the question here nobody responded with a “yes, I’ve got it working on my PC”.

My comment wasn't for you specifically because you have a solution that works for you. Instead, it was a comment for others that may come across the thread.

I suspect that nobody commented saying that they had it working because nobody else had an issue that they needed to fix. For most people, it will simply work. I certainly did nothing.

I have Windows 10 and a 5D IV, as well as an M6 II that creates .CR3 files. I can’t recall exactly what I did when I built this PC in 2019 but the list of Apps shows that I installed the Microsoft Raw Image Extension. Windows Explorer properly displays icons for both these cameras. Also I've had FastRawViewer for several years so its codecs must be on the machine but I have a vague memory that I had to upgrade to a new version of the Raw Image Extension to display the .CR3 files.

advertisement

Back