advertisement

Courtiestown - Naim Amplifier (Avondale) Upgrade Project

Good afternoon all,

Well I changed out the standard CAP6's for the ones I modified to fit the new AA SMD Schottky FWBR's.

49KOol9.jpg

I have two near identical 'C' cored amplifiers albeit one is 350VA and the other 500VA. I replaced the CAP6's in the 350VA fitted amplifier simply because the change out could be achieved without removing the amplifier boards themselves.

The test system was my M1 MacBook using Tidal out of the headphone socket via 2off Linn Silver RCA cables and feeding a pair of Linn Kan2's via vdH speaker cable. This isn't ideal but the best analogue system I can 'cobble' together.

The two test tracks were Nils Lofgren's 'Keith don't Go' and the Bombay Dub Orchestra 'Egypt in the Air'.

I had to listen to both tracks twice on both amplifiers.

There were 'indications' that there was greater separation and more ringing from the sound of plucked strings on the Nils Lofgren on the 350VA/ modified CAP6 amplifier . TBH it wasn't a 'night and day' thing with this track.

The 'telling track' was the Bombay Dub Orchestra. This is quite bass heavy but also has layers of detail. You would expect the 500VA equipped amplifier might have the edge BUT undeniably the 350VA equipped amplifier was processing the whole track in a much more detailed and revealing way.

Regards

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Tea break time here at Courtiestown and another pair of AA SMD FWBR equipped CAP6's ready to go:-

y3ujjTP.jpg

I will also be fitting/ trialling the new pattern CAP6/ Minicap with integral SMD's shortly.

I'll be dragging the other 'C' core amplifier off its shelf shortly.........

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back