advertisement

Components that Surprise and Delight

After enjoying some fabulous FM tuners over the years, a domestic compromise was required to satisfy a range of stations beyond Radios 2,3 & 4. I was sceptical that a DAB tuner would do anything other than be a painful reduction - I was wrong. After trying two or three that didn’t inspire, MF A5, Arcam, Denon I was recommended to try this Sony ST-SDB900.

Glad I did, not just acceptable but enjoyable.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I’d also like to put forward the Wiim Pro Plus. It’s easily filled the Squeezebox Touch’s vacancy. It can also be used a Squeezebox Emulator using Squeezelite. Im also impressed by the rapidity of updates and intersting additions to its operation. I think it is great value for money and I’ll be watching Wiim’s future product line with great interest.

Whilst not a component as such, I bought a Naim Muso QB for when we were doing our house renovation so I could still listen to my tunes as the hifi was in a storage unit.

It is now mounted on the wall out of the way and is our kitchen system. Whilst it doesn't compete with the main rig, it sounds really good and perfect for kitchen parties or when cooking, whilst also being small form factor and out of the way. I love it.

I've recently had reason to un-moth ball my old Inca Tech Claymore (iss6). Admittedly it has had most but not all of the Wonfor approved tweaks.

This little marvel never fails to delight. What it lacks compared to my usual A-Class pre/power it makes up for in its gutsy, foot tapping delivery, music is still fun!

Rega Brio …I’m another who is very happy with this small integrated amp also used as a stop gap. Drives a pair of Proac Tablettes adequately in my living room and has remained in my system. I’ve bought a lot more vinyl because of it as opposed to looking for an amplifier upgrade.

The pair of Arcam Two Plus speakers I bought late last year to complete the rebuild of my 1st proper system.
Why the hell did I Px the original pair I had for some Kef Cresta 3s in 2001, the Arcams really are phenomenal speakers.
When got my MastersounD Compact 845 I used them to warm the amp up prior to swapping into the main rig, fed by a Wiim Pro & Caiman SEG. Bloody hell, they absolutely sung. No way should £350 of source & DAC into ~40 year old speakers (and wires) sound so good.

A bit of a punt but it worked out well, as a less than state of the art Arcam A32 is helping a pair of Gato FM-15 speakers make all music sound more to my liking.

My daughter's £50 original Wharfedale Diamonds driven by an AR A60 and fed by an iPhone. I set it up for her in her bedroom and thought 'why have you got £17,000 worth of stuff downstairs?'
I've been reminded a couple of times recently how good the A60 was. And I'd contend the original Diamond was the best version they ever made, later ones were more refined but less involving. I remember having a pair as a stand-in while I waited for a pair of Maggies and regularly sitting with a big grin thinking 'I feel no pain.'

My daughter has moved into a bigger house with a sizeable open plan living/dining room and fancied something a bit bigger than the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1 stand mounters she'd been using. The Evo 1's were originally the rears in our home cinema set-up so I dug out the Evo 3 floor standers that used to be the fronts in that system and currently have them plugged into my main system to check them out. I'd only previously used them with a home-cinema amp (some big Denon thing) where they sounded fine, however it's surprising how decent they sound being driven by my Krell.

She's got an Audiolab 8000A and I think the should also sound good with that.

The tiny little BK Electronics sub, about £200. I'm not sure I'd notice if it was swapped back in for the KEF sub I have now costing 5x the price. A rare genuine bargain

The word ‘surprise’ doesn’t come close when considering the minuscule Amptastic Mini in our Audio Note system.
At £119.99, it’s astonishing! In all the months we’ve had it playing here, it has never crossed my mind that it’s missing anything in terms of musical presentation. Sweet treble, lovely mids and deep bass. The amp it replaced cost 30 times it’s price - the one before that 250 times! Incredible little amp and goes without saying - we are delighted into the bargain! When it comes to amplifiers, its ’Job done’!

advertisement

Back