advertisement

Component identification help

Hi all,

Can anyone help me by identifying the type of component highlighted here:
IMG_0727.jpeg

I'm reverse-engineering a circuit, an active crossover from a Meridian M30, and have captured everything else by inspection but this one I don't recognise. It is located in the feedback loop of both high and low passes before the filtering caps/resistors. I would rather not desolder to see if it has any markings on the other side if I can help it.

Any thoughts?

I would remove it from the board to see if there is anything written underneath. Looks like a resistor to me.
Worst case, can you take a small mirror to try to look underneath ?

I thought of the mirror, too. Or unsolder just one leg and gingerly lift it up. That way you could also measure its resistance accurately, since other circuits would not be involved.
At this point I'm curious! Please report back.

Thanks for the replies. It does indeed have zero resistance at DC in situ but I’ll prise it off at one end to see if there’s any more info under there. I wasn’t aware of the zero ohm link but a quick DuckDuckGo explained it - makes sense.

Thanks for the replies. It does indeed have zero resistance at DC in situ but I’ll prise it off at one end to see if there’s any more info under there. I wasn’t aware of the zero ohm link but a quick DuckDuckGo explained it - makes sense.
And check the resistance again with it disconnected at one end.

So I removed at one end. No markings at all and zero resistance, so I'm happy with the explanation that it is a link.
I remembered the same style in UK built Racal Milgo modems and LAN equipment 35+ years ago, but my memory is not always accurate so long ago.
The date code on the opamp in your photo is 1988, so contemporary. Quite possibly the same factory.

advertisement

Back