advertisement

Compact Choice

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Looking at a travel camera. Priorities are image quality, good viewer and pocketable. Budget £500 or so, but will happily spend less if diminishing returns kick hard. Contenders I've researched are Sony RX100 Mk 3, Canon G5x and Lumix LX100. Any others I should consider before going to have a play?

I have the Sony and I think the image quality is great. Relatively short zoom - I don't have an issue with that but others might. Buy before 21st Jan and get £150 cash back from authorised dealers. So buy from e.g. John Lewis at £529 and end up getting it for £379...

I have the Sony and I think the image quality is great. Relatively short zoom - I don't have an issue with that but others might. Buy before 21st Jan and get £150 cash back from authorised dealers. So buy from e.g. John Lewis at £529 and end up getting it for £379...

That's neat, thanks for the steer.

I am very pleased with our Canon G9X ii.

It is small and fits in a shirt pocket. Starts up and focus locks on quickly.

Why will your smartphone not satisfy your needs, it has a better telephone that the cameras you are talking about.
or
If you need a camera with more control get a second hand mirrorless camera, a used Oly OMD EM1 are selling for less than £400 and it will provide a start of you collecting a good set of lenses (over time)

A compact camera is close ended product, to get better you have to throw it all away and start again.

I was checking out compacts last year and the sony RX100 came up top for what I was after...never bought one tho.. :)

I know it’s frustrating when you offer advice and the thread disappears without knowing the result, so thanks for the recommendations and advice.

I ended up with a Sony RX100 Mk3 which I picked up from John Lewis with a free leather case, rubber grip and the Sony cash back. The latter was a faff to obtain but got there in the end.

I’m delighted with it. Just returned from South Africa and the images are stunning.

My observations are that it is a little fiddly and a wrist strap/rubber grip combo is essential imo, it feels much more secure with it. Battery life is a tad limited compared to my Nikon D40 but not bad and I carried 2 charged spares easily enough. Having taken the time to create a menu with my most often used settings I find it quick to navigate.

Best of all, it fits nicely in a pocket and the image quality is superb. Job done, thanks all.

As an RX100 owner, what will I gain by getting the Mk IV or V ?

Pros:
Mark V is a much faster in burst shooting mode.
Faster auto focus.
Wider lens angle.
Pop-up electronic viewfinder.
Swivel screen.
Got a dedicated button for the flash. Don't have to go through the manual to change the flash mode setting.
4K video, haven't tried yet.

Cons:
Heavier.
Slightly larger.
Cost.
Battery life.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back