advertisement

Compact Camera Help

Spence

pfm Member
Good afternoon, before I start I must warn you my knowledge on cameras is zero.

I am in the market for a good quality compact digital camera with the remit that it must be easy to use. I pretty much, within reason, would like to point and shoot.

A little bit of research has taken me to the Canon PowerShot S95. Has anyone here any experience of this and are there any other's I should consider.

Thanks in advance..

I purchased an S95 earlier this year, as it isn’t always ideal to take my SLR with me, and Mrs M wanted something a bit easier to use. I personally think it’s a cracking camera for the money (just under £300 when I got mine). You can stick it in auto mode if you want to just point and shoot but if you want to play a little there’s plenty of control with the dial on the back and the ring around the lens on the front plus you have an assignable short cut button (which I use to adjust the ISO on mine). No viewfinder but the live view is pretty darn good, although most people don’t want to use the viewfinder these days anyway. Also the live view tries to show you how the shot will come out before you take the shot with the settings you have, so as you change shutter speed, ISO, aperture etc the screen will get brighter or darker before you take the shot. I find it easy to use, light and a decent performer (although the image quality of my SLR is better but then it darn well should be!).

Have a look at the review below and try to get down to Jessops (or another camera shop) and try a few others out as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

The S95 is great but I would expect to see a few more requirements from the OP for instance i prefer the G10 with it's optical window to the S95

advertisement

Back