advertisement

Compact Camera around £150 - recommendations?

Marmite

tea jenny
I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix S220 for our lass, however we've just returned it after being disappointed with the quality of pics - very poor on indoor shots, awful white balance outside, poor autofocusing, in fact my 6 year old 3mp Ixus seemed a lot better. In its favour, it was a doddle to use, well constructed, and was wee.

A replacement must be small, easy to use, look sexy, be SD card compatible, have good build quality,and within a budget of £150. Not asking much am I. I'm keen on the Panasonic Lumix FS15, or perhaps one of the Casio Exilims. Leaning towards the Panny as I've never had a problem with any of their stuff before. Any recs guys?

cheers, kev.

We have a Fuji Finepix F60 FD with which I have been totally impressed. For a significant number of shots, it equals or even betters the dSLR we have (Canon 10D, which is getting a bit old now to be fair to it).

It also does very respectable video, almost as good as the old Sony DV Camcorder we have (but not quite).

I would buy it again, definitely...

yeah, in my limited experience - a mate owned a coolpix several years ago - I had a play with it and it was poor and while i never changed any of the settings - the colours were crap at best...

I at the time owned a fujifilm finepix a201 (2mp camera) and this outclassed it...

tho, I'm not sure how they compare to each other now...

I've owned a panasonic dmc-fz7 which I was happy with and subsquently bought a panny compact (forget which model) for my mums xmas present the other year...
on my dmc-fz7 - the manual mode (or at least Av mode) was spot on and was able to produce shots like this -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weardaleone/302765835/in/set-72157594387109553/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weardaleone/755555233/in/set-72157600718672572/

I have a Canon 900 and it seems to be good to me. Its interesting that in the article above the samsung comes out as the worst. I have a compact film samsung and it's the only camera I have bought that I regret buying. The samsung was a recommendation from a camera shop as well! I haven't bought anything from that place since!

Thanks so far guys, Mike, I've looked at those DPreview tests, plus a few other review websites. Reading too many reviews can sometimes just add to the static can't it. It does appear that a lot of makes vary their model numbers depending on which side of the Atlantic they are, as if their model ranges aren't confusing enough already.

I'll deffo look at the Fuji range - I hadn't considered them. I do seem to be on the cusp of "Budget" and "Enthusiast Compact" with the ££ I have.

Nice shots Mr. Cat, I do like your pictures. It depresses me how good they are sometimes! Why can't I do that?

cheers, Marmite!

yeah, I'd had the camera a while by that point and was taking advantage of the various settings... looking at the Exif data - I think It would have been on AV / manual mode and the EV turned down a couple of notches...

but other than that (especially with the hamsterley shot) - it was being at the right place at the right time!

advertisement

Back