advertisement

Classic Sony CD players

Not exactly one of the classic Sonys, being quite a bit "younger", but nevertheless - here's a pic of my (slightly modified) CDP-XA3ES:

DSC02621_zpsmth2cygp.jpg

Interesting there are no copper bus-bars for the power rails?

Yes, Sony seem to be famous for the copper bus-bars but only my 338ESD has them. The 555ESD, 337ESD, 333esD and 227ESD all don't.

I think it's only something you get on the slightly later high model CDP's such as the 557ESD etc.

I've been tinkering with the 338ESD with some great results :)

I had no idea there was a Sony CD fan club. I've long admired their earlier players and gave a 228ES tucked away in a drawer somewhere. I also have an XA5400ES SACD player, which is superb and still in use, though perhaps a bit less since I've ripped my CDs to a PC hard drive. I think the 5400 was Sony's last serious heavy weight audio disc spinner.

I'm a huge fan of these older Sony players! I currently own a 555esd, a 338esd, a 333esd and 2x 337esd. I've also owned a couple of 227esd's and worked on a 228esd.

I have a spare MINT 337esd for sale at the right price and the 338 is also available.

I'm very familiar with these players if you need any assistance.

Mike.

Do you know where I can download the 338 user manual. I have the service manual but not the user guide.

Andrew.

Sorry about the dodgy link Andrew, I've deleted it from my post.

PS: I'm very pleased with results I'm getting after swapping the opamps in the 338 to OPA2604 and swapping the output coupling caps to films.

Sorry about the dodgy link Andrew, I've deleted it from my post.

PS: I'm very pleased with results I'm getting after swapping the opamps in the 338 to OPA2604 and swapping the output coupling caps to films.

Which op amps and caps did you swap? What was the perceived improvement?

P.S. Ive found a manual on eBay.

Glad to learn you've found a copy of the manual.

The opamps I replaced are IC502 and IC402 which are the pair of NJM5532DD near the output. I swapped these for OPA2604AP. Sony already fitted some small film caps for local decoupling which is nice to see.

The two electrolytic coupling caps are C509 and C409. I recommend swapping these to film caps.

I've done this mod twice recently, once on my own 338 and once on a friends. On my player I used a pair of compact little 4.7uF Wima MKS caps which will drop straight in a replacements for C509, 409 and I left the two 0.47uF bypass caps (C510, C410) in place.

On my friends I went for a slightly superior option and removed both C509, C409, C410 and C510 and replaced the lot with a pair of larger radial 2.2uF Panasonic MKP caps.

I have a spare MINT 337esd for sale at the right price and the 338 is also available.

I'm very familiar with these players if you need any assistance.

I can vouch for Mike as I bought one of his 337esds (unmodified) earlier this year and it sounds fantastic and is built like a tank.

Top bloke.

Neil

Hi Neil, I'm pleased to hear that you are still enjoying the 337 :)

Andrew,

My preference is for the TDA1541 based players and the cream of the crop in my opinion are the 337ESD and 555ESD.

I do find the PCM58/338ESD very enjoyable with excellent clarity but for me the TDA1541 has a certain analogue like je ne c'est quoi that I find more musical and ultimately more pleasing for long-term ownership. There's a reason why the likes of Audial, AMR and Zanden are so obsessed with this DAC.

Don't get me wrong though, the PCM58 is a fine DAC (probably the best 18bit DAC ever) and the 338 is a fine player. I will be keeping my 338 but my 337 and 555ESD remain my favourite of all time and are lifetime 'keepers'.

The build quality of the 337ESD and 555ESD really is quite awesome (especially the 555ESD) and my modded 337ESD is still the finest music player I've ever heard! :)

The 227ESD is also nice, it has a cheaper build (plastic chassis etc) and the second tier KSS-151A laser rather than the mighty BU-1/KSS-190A but the PCB layout is excellent.

With regards to the PCM58 the X7ESD would have to be king (staggering build quality) and I'd love to add one to my collection some day!

If you find yourself in the Sheffield are you'd be welcome to pop by for a listen to my 337's and 555ESD.

After being impressed with an Adcom CDP I bought a while back, & seeing it was based on a Sony tda1541 model, I have stockpiled a couple of native Sony models too - will have a look over winter.

there as many recent optics failing in modern than these older players, naim have had there share .In general the too much plastic. Philips 104 cdp hand an amazing built transport.

I bought a 338ESD off Mike P a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. Great sound and build quality. I agree with Andrew that it sounds better using its own DAC rather than the K2 DAC in the JVC 1010 amp. A great match with the JVC amp and the Ruark Crusader 2's in my system (the latter also fettled by Mike!).

The 338ESD is so good it stopped me listening to vinyl for a while, now restored thanks to the Ittok. The good thing is I now don't care whether it's digital or vinyl, I enjoy them both!

Is it possible to replace parts in the late 80s/early 90s Sony high end cdps? Lasers for instance. I currently have a 715, but was thinking of moving to a 337/8, whatever I can lay my hands on.

Is it possible to replace parts in the late 80s/early 90s Sony high end cdps? Lasers for instance. I currently have a 715, but was thinking of moving to a 337/8, whatever I can lay my hands on.

Some of the lasers can be very expensive and difficult to source! The good news is that the build quality is fantastic and so they're generally very reliable and last for ages.

I recently paid £230 for a new old stock BU1-E (for my 555esd) and a whopping £650 for a new old stock KSS-190A (for my 337esd). That's a big investment but I'm now set up for life with CD players! If the original lasers ever wear out the replacements will surely last a further 30+ years.

The KSS-151A in the 227esd/338esd was used in many more players (e.g. Denon) and so can be found more easily.

I hope I don't put you off buying a high end old Sony CDP, they're superb machines and criminally underrated. Buy one now before people wake up and the prices skyrocket!

advertisement

Back