1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Sony CD players

Discussion in 'classic' started by Tigerjones, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I really like the look of some of the 1980s Sony CD players such as the CDP-337ESD. How do they stack up against modern alternatives, do they last and are they fixable?

Cheers

Patrick

2. df_genius

df_genius Solder slinger

3. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Cheers, genius. Not seen that.

4. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

5. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

That looks a peach, fp. I love the looks. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

6. flatpopely

£120!!!!!!!!

Off pfm as well. You won't find one at that price though now Im afraid.

Dual PCM58P 18 bit DCAs, copper bus bars, Nichicon caps, KSS151a transport - stunning sound.

CDP-608ESD is the same and they seem more prevalent.

7. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Yes what a bargain that is. I'll keep an eye out on ebay. Most of the older ES players seem to be in Germany for some reason.

Is the 608ESD exactly the same?

8. flatpopely

AFAIK! The Service manual is for both players.

9. flatpopely

FWIW it saw off an ARCAM Delta 70.3.

10. flatpopely

Some better pics of the Sony CDP-338ESD.

The build quality is astounding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I'm a huge fan of these older Sony players! I currently own a 555esd, a 338esd, a 333esd and 2x 337esd. I've also owned a couple of 227esd's and worked on a 228esd.

I have a spare MINT 337esd for sale at the right price and the 338 is also available.

I'm very familiar with these players if you need any assistance.

12. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

I always lusted after the 502ES, but don't seem to see any around.

13. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

14. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

15. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

Wow £200 for a player that could give up the ghost any minute

16. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Here's a pic of the 337ESD:

[​IMG]

The KSS-190A laser mech really is sublime!

17. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

And here's my modified 337ESD

[​IMG]

18. fay spook

fay spook pfm Member

Or £200 for one that gives you a good few years of good music? £200 for what people say is a great player. If you can't get better for less then it is a deal.

19. flatpopely

Interesting there are no copper bus-bars for the power rails?

20. flatpopely

^ this!