advertisement

Classic CD Players ?

Kasper,

I believe there is an enormous thread on DIY audio regarding the CDX, including some manuals. Well worth a service, the old electrolytics are way past there best by now.

I think the internals are very CD 104 iirc

I don't suppose you could provide a link? I did some looking and wasn't able to locate it... (apologies for my weak search skills)

A manual would be nifty, and it would be interesting to get a sense of what a recap might entail.

I still have and occasionally use my old Maranz CD41 - I had it from new and at the time (in the 1980s) it seemed a really good machine - and even after all this time it still sounds pretty good to me... Was (or is) it a classic? - I don't know! but to me it was as it was my first ever CD deck and actually since then I have only had one other.

You can try mine if you wish, pm me your address and I will happily post it to you, you try it for a few months and post back to me.

Not trying to sell it, I want to keep it. But if you want a listen then just PM me and all will be sent.

Deal?

:)

No, mate, I wouldn't dream of taking the risk with someone else's property. Besides I doubt I'd want to give it back!!!

Needless to say, loads of thanks for the offer. :cool::cool::cool:

also another vote for rotel 965bx still love this player and will never sell it !!!! I rotate it in and out of my system and it never disappoints

+1 for the Phillips/Marantz CD80. Built like a tank, copper lined innards, decent sized transformer, durable transport etc, and sounded waaay better than the Magnavox/Phillips lower end units. Especially when the I/V resistors were replaced with Vishays!

But as good as it was, a demo with the CDS1 showed literally within the first four bars how much deeper and more insightful the Naim unit was.

Just a quick pic (also posted on the VFET thread) of my two latest acquisitions: B&O Beogram CD-X and Sony VFET TA-5650. Total outlay: $42.50. Throw in a respectable pair of monitors and it's probably all the hi-fi most would ever need.

igp3919.jpg

The best player I had in the 80s was a Nakamichi OMS5. I was also very fond of the A&R Cambridge CD 1.
Today I still use gear from the 90s, a Denon DCD S1 as a transport & EAD DSP7000MK3 DAC.
I haven't heard anything more modern that I prefer, next step a solid state server, according to my Sons:D:D

My first cdp was a marantz 75, bought in the 80's fabulous sounding then and lasted until a couple of years ago. I tried a couple of modern players, but didn't get on with the sound. I'm now running a Rotel 855 into a temple Audio T amp and love it? There is certainly something about the early, good quality cdp's.

Sony 715/715E.
It does not look much but it is giant killer.
In a completely different class to things like the Rotel 965Bx and Marantz CD63.
Just last week I had a session at a friends place where we were comparing it with some very expensive modern DACs and computer sources and it was at least as good.
Very open and vibrant sounding.

Ah yes, I remember the 715E. I recall it was the darling of one of the HFNRR reviewers. A great sounding player that really did punch above its weight, but in my view wasn't quite the giant killer it was made out to be. I heard a couple of samples and they were all quite similar, so maybe there were some that were better. A CD3 was appreciably more "groovy" - but so it should have been at the price! Still, amazing vfm, from what was effectively a beer budget player.

The Pioneer PD-91 IS... one of the best cdp's ever made along with the PD-93.

The transport is a work of art and the build quality is simply amazing.

This is not the same as the 'stable platter' on the later players, this is the real deal.

Not only that but they are totally servicable, Pioneer still stock the motors and lasers. Problem is... if you want one be prepared to wait.. and then pay for it.

A mint boxed one went for over £2k a few years ago.

PD-91-inside.jpg

post-232-1257625283.jpg

I love my Marantz CD85 ...it's built like a proverbial battleship ...I'm on my second one (the first lasted from 1989 - 2007) and I still haven't heard anything affordable to beat it - it even produces real bass!

MARANTZCD85bigger.jpg
[/IMG]

I had a Pioneer PD-93 about 10 years ago. I found it in a hifi repair shop (along with the entire rest of the Elite rack system which I did not buy), mint and traded in for £200. It was a beautiful thing to behold, what with the two potted transformers hanging out the back on an isolated platform. Absolutely HUGE. It sounded OK, but I sold it immediately when offered £600 for it. Bought a Naim CDI which was twice the player in the way it sounded, and equally beautiful in a refined lab-chic way.

If anyone is considering spending £2k on one they need their heads examined.

BTW, I was given an old high-end Denon (DCD-1520?) a few years ago and as it would not read discs it sat about for a while before I decided to bin it. Well, it seemed a bit nice for that so I disassembled it and took anything worth keeping - Alps Blue pot, lovely XLR sockets, Full Copper Chassis, Huge 200x150x8mm copper plates and feet from the chassis base, Potted power and digital transformers. Currently all in the box of misc audio paraphernalia. One day...

James.

If anyone is considering spending £2k on one they need their heads examined.

lol.. I agree, there is always one.

The PD-93 was a lovely player and I have to say that the CDI is also a lovely player and a classic to which I have also had but for me the PD-91 sounds more neutral / better separation. The PD-91 with an external DAC it's a transport of some magnitude too!

im using a marantz first generation cd 63b cd player (b for black) the standard finish was champagne. what a stonking player it is and still going strong after 26 years. a true testament to the first generation players.
Agreed, I had one too but sold it to my brother for £50 years ago then he sold it for beer money. Wish I'd kept it now :(

As I didn't sleep well last night due to the heat here in the states - it's 97 degrees today.

So I didn't take time to view some of these, but wanted to list what I've considered Classic CD Players, at least as viewed from my side of the pond.

(1) PS Audio CDP - 1 ( something or another 1985 )

(2) Marantz CD-94 ( 1985/86 )

(3) Mod Squad Prism ( 1989 ) ( Along with Philips CD-960 and CD-880 from same period ).

(4) CAL ( California Audio Labs ) Aria II ( 1990 )

(5) Arcam Delta 70.2 ( 1992 )

(6) Meridian 207 ( 1993 )

As mentioned these were the ones available to me through either dealers in the States or Canada.
But as nice as some of them were - they weren't vinyl. YMMV!.

But my last one was an Accuphase DP-65V that I used from 1997-2006. Fond memories an all. It still wasn't Vinyl.

Cheers,
o_O scar

advertisement

Back