advertisement

Christmas music - the verdict

Imagine working in Tesco's and being subjected to it all day. It must come under health and safety legislation surely?

I mentioned to the checkout operator in Tesco today that I was pleased there was no Christmas music playing. She said she wondered if the message had got through to the management from last year that they were all being driven mad.

I wish it could be Christmas everyday by Wizard does hold fond memories

I admit I have an original 1973 copy somewhere in the loft. And that’s where it is staying. A yellow Harvest label IIRC.

Free album of alternative version Christmas music from Magnatune, a label that splits 50/50 with their artists.

http://magnatune.com/music/Magnatune Compilation/A Christmas with Magnatune/magnacomp-xmas2014-flac.zip

Track 7 is an interesting take on an old classic from Fareed Haque that will have you wanting a spicy Indian for Christmas dinner.
Or, how about a dub-step version 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' with a distinctly Asian flavour? Pass the spring-rolls Tiny Tim.

WARNING: 289.2MB download (other 'smaller' and 'larger' formats are available, just substitute -mp3, -vbr, -wav, -aac, -alac, -ogg, or -opus for -flac in the link.

I did my bit for the cause today - I went into Tesco and immediately heard ‘Stop the Cavalry’ playing. It would have been bad enough had it been Slade, Wham, Wizzard or any of the other usual suspects, but that song annoys me particularly as it seems to have been adopted as a Christmas anthem simply because it has the word ‘Christmas’ in it. I decided to vote with my feet, went straight back out and down the road to Morrisons.

I expect I’ll be doing a lot of grocery shopping online for the next three or four weeks.
I hate that song with a passion!

Christmas is for kids, it's great when you have your children all excited about the special day, great times.

I would never ban Christmas, it's a great time for family & friends to actually spend time together, special memories can be taken from Christmas holidays if you have the right attitude, making others miserable at this time of year because you had a miserable time yourself when a kid seems a little selfish, stupid & self serving, or maybe it's just trying to look cool on a forum in front of your bro's.

If you hate Christmas but think it worthwhile to look after the disadvantaged at this time of year on a freezing cold night,, click below.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/dona...MIyPSfouL41wIVQ54bCh24mwhYEAAYASAAEgLyDvD_BwE

As previously mentioned,the only Christmas songs played at my place and only on Christmas day is Phil Spector's mono LP from the Back to mono vinyl box set.

It was Shakin’ Stevens who had me reaching for the dyspepsia tablets in the supermarket today. ‘It’s the season for love and understanding’ he informed us. So tell me O Unstable One, what are the other seasons for? Incomprehension? Macramé work? Pestilence?

Oh, and then we got bloody ’Stop the Cavalry’ again.

Wire up the Arnedale Centre with some of those big bombs from Fight Club and make them go off if any of the top 100 christmas songs are played with some kind of shazam hack. There is always the risk the hostages will be rescued by Bruce Willis' vest, as it is christmas after all. To complete the cultural zeitgeist I could hire some EU character actors so it is obviously who the bad guys are - here to take away our christmas and our brexit. (Sadly Alan Rickman is no longer available).

i actually like a lot of Christmas music of the old classical/church tradition.

advertisement

Back