advertisement

Christmas music - the verdict

When was the last time a new Christmas song made it onto the supermarket / shopping centre / department store CD? Last one I can place is Mariah Carey and that must be 25 years old by now.

I don't do xmas at all, in any way. Just ignore it.

The music could be more interesting it wasn't kept in aspic and played the same way every year. Bach's Wintermusic could easily be riffed on. If you ignore the video, this version of the carol of the bells shows you the sort of interesting things that could be done...

Instead we get Holder. Again. And again. And again.

Whole thing best avoided.

[I still think we should let the wiccans burn a few christians each year. Only fair]

Interesting, I was right. It was the last big-time Chrimbo song. Let's get to work on a new one using that structure. You do the music, I'll do the words.

I don't do Xmas at all, in any way. Just ignore it.

Likewise, but you can't ignore it, as it pervades and disrupts just bout every aspect of normal life. I hate waste in any form, and this season is definitely the season of waste.

B.t.w., I can't detect anything 'Christmassy' about that cello recital. It may sound 'Bach-ish' but not 'yuletide-ish'

B.t.w., I can't detect anything 'Christmassy' about that cello recital. It may sound 'Bach-ish' but not 'yuletide-ish'

Try this more 'traditional' version...

I think it is more prevalent in Northern Europe and North America than UK - but still annoying when you hear it all the time. It has words too, which are even worse.

Schmalz of the highest order but I love this song....

Pushing it a bit to call that a Christmas song... but if I knew I would hear that in Tesco rather than bloomin’ “I’wuzz Chrissmusseeeevv babe INNN the drunktank” I would risk going in before January.

I like the nasal whine, asking me in Tesco, for the 30th year,
"Another year over,
And what gave you done?"

Hey Ho. Tis the season to be jolly. And all of that.

I think that sums up my problem with Christmas. Why can’t we be jolly all the year round? Who decided when the jollity season should be and what authority did he have? The same goes for goodwill to all men. Why do we have to start acting badly towards each other again as soon as Christmas is over?

I love Christmas, but my ears have been tortured earlier this evening by a trip to the Guantanamo Bay Sheffield John Lewis for a Christmas event...

Didn’t really notice it at first, but a spell stood watching the trying on of coats - no problem, I’m usually good at that sort of thing - right next to a speaker playing War is Over and then Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, was not fun. At all.

Hearing Mariah was almost a relief after that tag team of festive bumdrizzle, as my melted mind had been idly wondering if there was one from Ringo that I’d forgotten about. The horror...

Phil Spector's Christmas album all the way for me. Especially Darlene Love belting out "Baby Please Come Home". I've got an old Jamaican copy of "Natty Christmas" by Jacob Miller that gets some play, proper crap sleeve made from old cornflake boxes too.
Guilty pleasure is Wham!

My wife's birthday is on 13th December and so we tend to avoid anything Christmassy until 14th. After then I'm happy to embrace Christmas full on including pretty much exclusively listening to an eclectic mix of Christmas music at home up to and including Boxing Day. I love this time of the year and still find the whole thing magical.

I remember thinking it a good idea to buy a Christmas carol record when my kiddies were young. Still got it somewhere, probably played once. I've absolutely no idea what I was on at the time but it must have been good stuff ! To misquote a famous song, 'Memories are not made of this'.

I wish it could be Christmas everyday by Wizard does hold fond memories of my childhood at Christmas with my parents, great times, I was a very lucky lad compared to many these days.
In my 50 years on planet earth i'm yet to meet two nicer people.

advertisement

Back